The Gruesome Behind The Magical | The Odyssey Online

The Gruesome Behind The Magical

Rest in peace, happily ever after.

38
The Gruesome Behind The Magical

There is no denying that everyone has had a special connection with a Disney movie. Whether it be "Cinderella" or "The Lion King," these stories had children captivated with awe with their magical and mystical themes. Yet, did you ever wonder what would happen if the glitter of modification was brushed off these tales, taking them back to their origins? Well, let me just tell you "Happy Ever After" was not the case. Below is a list revealing the true stories behind the tales:

1. 'Cinderella'

"Cinderella" is a classic fairy tale that may have entered the heart of most little girls one day. Disney did well by pulling the "suffering innocent girl" theme to gather the sympathy of the viewer. The story, of course, goes on to a glorious ending where the Prince and Cinderella live happily after. What the modified version of the Grimm Brother's original gruesome story forgot to mention was how eager the step-sisters were for the wealthy husband. Their eagerness led one of them to cut her toe while the other cut her heel to fit the glass shoe. Even after the problem is fixed for Cinderella, the sisters still have their eyes eaten by birds. I sure hope the diamond on that ring was worth it.

2. 'The Little Mermaid'

The forbidden love portrayed in "The Little Mermaid" will always be a heart jerker. Admit it, everybody wanted Ariel to find a way to the Prince's heart. Though she went through some trouble, Ariel didn't really pay any noticeable price for her idiotic race after a man she saw once. I mean, really? Sell her voice? Disney still gave the princess the man, a happy daddy, and her voice back! However, in Hans Christian's original story the princess didn't have it so easy. Instead, every step she took with her legs felt like stepping on glass. Ouch! Not just that, but she also ended up throwing herself into the sea and turning into sea foam after she refused to kill her lover. Well, that doesn't exactly make up a good bedtime story now, does it?

3. 'Sleeping Beauty'

Being in a coma for the rest of your life doesn't really sound like such a fantastic idea, but if you ask me being kissed by a stranger doesn't either. Yet, Disney found a way to make the story of young Aurora seem enchanting, especially after the prince saved her and they lived happily ever after. Well, if you think it's too good to be true, you are right. In Giambattista's original tale, the already weird story takes on a whole new level of gory. In this version, a king finds Aurora asleep and rapes her. She later wakes up after she gives birth to twins and proceeds to fall in love with the king. The craziness doesn't end there. The king's wife attempts to fix her marriage by trying to force the king to eat his children and burn Aurora. The story ends on a somewhat good note where the king and Aurora live happily. If you call marrying your rapist happy.

4. 'Beauty And The Beast'

Belle's story with overcoming the beastly aspect of her lover and learning to love him for who he is (of course, after he forcefully takes her hostage) might be the one with the ultimate message: don't judge a book by its cover. Well, we may be looking at different books. In the Disney fairytale, Belle sacrifices her happiness for her dad and ends up going through an experience of a lifetime where she ends up happy with a charming prince. Though less likable, the original story by Gabrielle-Suzanne De Villeneuve might make more sense. In the latter, the envious sisters wait until the beast allows Belle to travel back home and plan on making her stay beyond her allowed time. Not so much because they miss her, but mostly because they wanted the big beast to eat her up. Tough love is still love, right?

5. 'Hansel And Gretel'

Hansel and Gretel may have seemed like the most innocent children ever in the Disney story, but that doesn't really seem to be the case. The original story (which is pretty disturbing on its own) shows these children being placed in the woods by their evil step mom and poor father to fend for themselves. They end up falling into a witch's trap and, of course, the entire story ends on happy note with the children reuniting with their father. Though this story isn't what one calls magical, it still is much lighter then the original "The Lost Children" version. In this version, the children are faced by a devil instead of a witch. He ends up building a sawhorse to kill them on, only to have his wife slashed by the kids over it. Seriously, which part of murder is not for children, does no one get?

We don't exactly have dream material on our hands, do we? I don't know about you, but my childhood has officially been ruined. Not to say that I didn't actually like they goriness.