The Cyber Shuffle

The Cyber Shuffle

Alluring or Detrimental?

12
The Cyber Shuffle

*Click*

1:52 PM

3 missed calls.

2 new voicemails.

5 new messages.

18 unread emails.

4 BlackBoard Assignments.

1 missed FaceTime Call.

7 Facebook Notifications.

11 unopened Snapchats.

150 Instagram Likes.

1 Reminder.

6 Twitter favorites...

In our minds, every one of these notifications requires immediate attention. What did those three people who called wish to speak to me about? When are my BlackBoard assignments due? How much time do I have to Snapchat back before I lose my streak? Who emailed me? A professor? That employer from my most recent job application? Where is that meeting again? Why was I tagged in your most recent photo? With social media, we constantly get caught up in the who, what, where, and why— but never the I.

It begs the question; are social media and technological advances advantageous or the cores of our daily stress? Think about it; who wouldn't be stressed with 100+ notifications staring them in the face? When all they wanted to do was check the time...

Yes, thanks to iPhones, Mac computers, the latest Windows software, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIN, iMessage, group FaceTime, Google Docs, email and a university Black Board portal, we are able to promote our own businesses, share our latest selfie, submit our term papers, schedule important meetings, and RSVP to events without ever looking anything besides our screens in the face. But are we turning a blind eye to the drawbacks for the sake of convenience? There is no doubt that social media & technological advances have transformed society for the greater good in various ways, but when was the last time you checked your electronic of choice and not see a pressing issue demanding your undivided intentness?

I never realized it much, until I grew closer to my significant other. We would cuddle up close and put on a movie, but PAUSEI forgot to check my email. I quickly open my lab top and implore him to leave the movie playing and not wait for me. I close my lab top, look up, and see that we are halfway through the movie. Um, how did that happen? I began to notice this pattern happening time and time again in variations, now that I was aware of it. Every night reserved for us two together increasingly consisted of a good start, technological interruption, tedious distraction, apologies from me, and a potentially great night wasted. I felt terrible for my significant other who understood and did not want to say anything to interrupt my busy body responsibilities, but whom also wished I was paying more attention to him. I recognized that instead of continuing to focus on the who, what, where and why— I needed to hone in on the I. In this scenario, the we.

This is my request— attempt to evaluate your obligations and social media in a new light. Are they your saving grace? Or bring you more stress than necessary? Every person is different and entitled to choose but I challenge you to power off and take a second view— think about what technology and social media may be doing to you.