The Black Mamba's Effect | The Odyssey Online

The Black Mamba's Effect

This is the story of what Kobe Bryant and a Military member have in common.

69
The Black Mamba's Effect
Tumblr

On November 29, 2015, Kobe Bryant announced that this would be his final season in the NBA.

On September 9, 2013, I, Kamal Darji, enlisted in the United States Army as an 11B, better known, as an Infantryman.

These two very different events are not related in any way that is tangible; however, the aforementioned man, one of the greatest basketball players in history, helped an awkward Indian kid find his way among alpha males and find his niche in the hard charging world of the Infantry.

The trajectory is not exactly a perfect match, as Kobe Bryant’s father was an NBA player, and he used basketball as a means of surviving in the mean streets of Philadelphia.

Bryant lived in Italy for a while and became fluent in both the language and the culture. As a result, his transition back to America was a bit difficult. He used basketball as his golden ticket, so to speak, and that is what allowed him to thrive in an otherwise unknown world.

I was born in Chicago and raised in New Jersey. Despite the often aggressive manner of the kids around me, I was a relatively shy and introverted kid.

However, I loved basketball and would often watch the likes of Michael Jordan, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady and Bryant.

Bryant’s game and work ethic matched the same grit and determination that Jordan was notorious for. As a result, he was one of my favorite players, and I would use his quotes and insights as motivation for whatever challenge or obstacle I was facing in my own life.

As I became older, I lacked the same confidence that was prevalent among my peers. I would often struggle to maintain my confidence and this translated to many areas of my life. A friend would tell me to approach a girl I liked, and I would become temporarily paralyzed due to my profound insecurities.

Around my high school, I would see these Army recruiters. At the time, I had no intention of joining the military, but I did observe that these men carried themselves in a different manner. They had an aura of confidence that was both foreign and elusive to me; therefore, I was drawn to that energy.

I inquired more about the military; however, coming from an Indian household, my parents quickly shut that down and stressed the importance of a college degree. I moved on from the idea of joining the military but the interest never dissipated.

From the beginning, Kobe Bryant had the drive and desire to be the greatest. He was surrounded by talented players such as Shaquille O’Neal, Eddie Jones, Nick Van Exel, Derek Fisher and many others.

He was a rookie, and he played as if he had a chip on his shoulder. Even though he was new to the team, Bryant was not afraid to take the final shot. In the waning seconds of a game against the Utah Jazz, rather than pass it, Bryant decided to take the final shot. Ultimately, he airballed a 3; however, he earned respect from his teammates because they realized, even at a young age, he was not afraid to take the final shot.

After I got my degree in Psychology, I once again became interested in the military. I had one family member, a cousin, who was part of the Military Police in the Army. He had struggled, academically, in High School and was described as aimless by his friends and family.

However, after joining the military, he had turned his life around and everyone spoke about the change in his demeanor as well as how he possessed discipline and confidence that he previously lacked. This piqued my interest, and I decided to go to the recruiter’s office after speaking with him.

After an impressive rookie season, Bryant was really starting to make a name for himself. His game was similar to Jordan’s; however, his work ethic was extolled on a basis that rivaled Jordan’s.

His competitive instincts were on par with Jordan’s, and he would state in interviews how his goal was to be the greatest player ever, not just another great player.

I signed up for the Infantry, the force that fights on the ground. As an Indian, this was a bit of an anomaly, as not many people from my culture sign up for a combat job. Most other Indians that join the military tend to choose jobs in intelligence, the medical field, or engineering.

My parents were apprehensive about the choice; however, it was my choice and I was adamant about it. Therefore, they had no choice but to accept it.

I kept the memory of Bryant’s airball against Utah in my head. He had missed the shot but he had had the confidence to shoot, that’s what mattered. I viewed the Infantry as my shot to take even if I may miss. I had to find out for myself.

Basic Training was the rude awakening I needed in my life at that moment. I was an Indian kid who had been sheltered by his parents and my lack of life experience coupled with my immaturity made for a potent combination.

Drill sergeants would get right in your face making you run, do push-ups, sit-ups, or any other exercise they could conjure with their minds until you were ready to drop.

This experience was tough, at times, but I kept in mind the faces of my family and friends back home.

Furthermore, I was reminded of Bryant’s first few games and when he had air-balled his first few last minute shots. This, although far-fetched in certain regards, provided me with a spark that allowed me to keep pushing no matter how tough things got or how much I missed home.

Kobe Bryant retiring means more to me than just a basketball legend retiring. He once stated, “If you’re afraid to fail, then you’re probably going to fail.”

Throughout my short career thus far in the Armed Forces, I have faced many challenges and obstacles.

I would reflect and think back to Bryant’s mental strength.

The aforementioned quote helped put everything in perspective. That is how Kobe Bryant, one of the greatest basketball players of all time, helped inspire a sheltered Indian kid and, in essence, transform him into a better man, soldier, and person.