The Big Decisions in Life | The Odyssey Online

The Big Decisions in Life

Where do you turn to make those big life decisions?

57
The Big Decisions in Life
Jourdan McFarland

Big life decisions, how do you make them? Do you go with the majority of people because it’s a well known way or do you take a smaller path, which doesn’t have many people for an adventure? It comes to following the group and what is “typical” of your situation or going somewhere new where many haven’t traveled before.

I believe that Jesus Christ died for my sins because he loves me and has a plan for me and He wants to have a personal relationship with me. So when I come to bigger life decisions there are four main things I go to.

1. Prayer

2. Wise counsel. With wise counsel I go to people who are older than me and possibly have been through a similar situation, and know me well in asking for their advice and their prayer as well.

3. The Bible.

4. The book of Psalms chapter 37:4. “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.” I really have to think and pray about what the desires of my heart truly are.

At the center of these four things is where I put my faith.

A few weekends ago I was in the crossroads of deciding what I was going to do after graduating with my degree in education. All options I had were good, but deciding which good option would be the best has been hard. I love my family a lot and, yes, they had a vote in what I should do.

However, the decision ultimately comes to God, then me if I follow what he has planned for me.

Big decisions are hard. I am a people-pleaser and I don’t want to disappoint anyone, especially my family. So while trying to make this big decision, I was at this Fall Retreat, kind of like camping, with CRU (formerly known as Campus Crusade for Christ). During some quiet time on Saturday, I went for a hike. I love nature and just going for walks and getting out of town from the hustle and bustle of day to day life. It’s just something which helps me relax and clear my head.

On this walk I was really praying and trying to just be silent to listen to God about what to do with my future. I have a tendency to keep talking and not just have some silence to relax and listen, so here was my time. The different options I had for after graduation were to teach where ever I get a job; intern with CRU for a year or two; or go and teach internationally. All three options are things that I want to do. So on this walk I just felt this urge and voice in my head say international teaching! International teaching has been something I have been wanting to do for about 2 years now. This made me excited that this is where the Lord wants me to go. Now that I have narrowed my choice down to international teaching, I have three different avenues I can take, which is God just opening so many doors for the desires of my heart.

Now comes the hard part… telling my family and close friends. Most of my family know that this has been something on my heart for quite some time but it is, nonetheless, still hard to tell them I am going to be going to a different country and may not see them for a while next year.

Well here I go! I may feel like the one out of place at times or that I don’t belong. However, I know my Heavenly Father has a plan and reason for me going international. No matter what is going to happen, good or bad, there is a reason He is having me go through this.

It is the LORD who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”

Deuteronomy 31:8

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

2 Timothy 1:7

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer

Matt. 21:22