Why I Still Love North Carolina

Why I Still Love North Carolina

It's still pretty awesome

108
Why I Still Love North Carolina
Vacation Idea

I know North Carolina has received a lot of criticism lately for HB2, but it’s still a pretty great place to live. While we should hold those in office to a high standard, I am not willing to judge an entire state on the actions of their state leaders. One action or even one event does not define a person or a state, so without further adieu here is a list containing some of the wonderful aspects of the multi-faceted state that I love.

1. The Weather

If you have ever lived outside of North Carolina, you know how blessed you are to live someplace where you experience all four seasons and none of the extreme weather states to the north and south of you experience.

2. The Geo-variety

So maybe geo-variety is not a word, but if it were it would perfectly describe NC. We have mountains, the “piedmont” or foothills, coastal plains and the outer banks. If you are interested in travelling somewhere, chances are you can find a similar location within the state.

3. The Food

Carolina BBQ. Need I say more? I mean, I could, but that would be a long rant y’all are not interested in reading. If you haven not tried it yet, try it! Oh and I would talk about Cookout, but that's a whole other category...

4. Sweet Tea

Some might think that it’s odd for North Carolina to have sweet tea, but I would politely remind those folks that we are south of the Mason Dixon line. That geographical fact means that we shall serve sweet tea. Don’t worry if you don’t like it. It’s an acquired taste.

5. Cheerwine

Created in Salisbury, NC, this uniquely delicious soda is an NC staple. Despite its name it is not actually alcoholic. It tastes more similar to a cherry coke than anything else, but you just have to try it. There's nothing better than drinking Cheerwine and watching the Panthers win.

6. Cookout

I didn’t realize this was even a North Carolina thing until I moved away. Cheap fast food, forty milkshake options, and late hours make this place a great food option for students. Ten out of ten would recommend these burger joints.

7. Chimney Rock

So named for the shape of this rock. The view from up here is definitely worth the hike, not to mention the town surrounding this park is full of eclectic places to shop and eat.

8. The Whitewater Center

How many states can brag about having an official training center on olympic grade white water rapids? Whether you want to venture into the whitewater, zip line, explore a ropes course, or go kayaking on the flatwaters, you're sure to have a good time at the Whitewater Center.

9. Charlotte

One of America's busiest financial centers by day, citadel of entertainment by night. Charlotte is filled with excellent restaurants, but that is only the beginning. In the summer you can catch a Knights baseball game, or later in the year attend a Panthers or Hornets game. If sports aren't your style then checking out the music factory or the PNC Music Pavilion for concert tickets.

10. College Towns

Namely Davidson and Chapel Hill. These college towns are cute, quaint, and full of fun to do. While restaurant chains have taken over much of the food industry in the US, Davidson and Chapel Hill are filled with one of a kind mom and-pop restaurants and shops. Additionally, the proximity of the these town to a college/university creates a place buzzing with activity and fun to do. Definitely worth a stop if you are traveling though the state.

11. Lifestyle

Unless we are talking about work, it's okay to show up a couple minutes late. We combine words to come up with "y'all" and "ain't" and such to make it clear what we mean and to get to the point with less words. Yes and no are always to be followed by ma'am and sir. We're polite as a way of extending hospitality and welcoming others in (ideally, anyway. If someone is "blessing your heart" you might want to find out why...).

This list attempts to shed some more positive light on my state while so many are criticizing a select few within it. There are many more wonderful parts of my state's culture (and not so wonderful parts as well...just like every state). I hope you won't write us off like so many others.