The 5 Best Music Venues Of The Northeast

It's all about the experience.

874
Matt Ginzel

Everyone knows that part of experiencing a concert isn't only the live music, but also the atmosphere. If the crowd stinks, basically the show will, too. I’m a 5’2 girl, and not being able to see anything is pretty frustrating, to say the least. If the drinks are expensive, forget it. I can get a $3 Narragansett somewhere else. I’m picky about my concerts, but for all the right reasons.

It’s safe to say that the atmosphere can ultimately make or break a show, and also heavily relies on the music venue itself.

As a regular concertgoer, I’ve had both really great experiences and some pretty terrible ones. Luckily, the good times outweigh the bad, and I’ve been able to return to plenty of shows at some of my favorite music venues. In fact, I’ve become a regular at some of these places. This is my way of saying “thanks” to the venues that have so kindly given me memories that I’ll never forget.

Here are some New England music venues that you NEED to check out:

1. The Eclectic of Willimantic, Connecticut

This brand new 2016 venue in Eastern Connecticut is all the rage right now. This place is full of excitement and amazing opportunities, and the artwork on the walls is a super modern and inviting experience for all.

Founder and owner David Magnuson says, “The reason I’ve had this dream of The Eclectic and decided to do everything to make it happen is because I’ve lived in Willimantic my whole life. I was a follower of the punk scene that happened in the basements of old Victorian houses in the hill section…It was sweaty and hot, and every local and touring band played there. Between then and now, there has been very little activity in Willimantic, so I opened this place for live bands, open mic nights, art showings, movie showings and more. Both local and touring bands are performing here and it’s also open to be used for anyone’s need. Willimantic is a great town and I want to contribute to the community and make everyone more aware of the possibilities.”

2. The Palladium of Worcester, Massachusetts

The Palladium is one of my all-time favorite venues. It's been around since the early 1900s, and is still alive and well. I’ve seen some of the craziest metal shows here and have made some amazing memories with some amazing friends. While the inside is slightly dilapidated, there’s a sort of rock charm that fills the space. I know I’ll be going here for as long as it’s still open. If you have a chance to see a metal show here, do it, and mosh your way through the pits.

3. Toad's Place of New Haven, Connecticut

I think everyone from Connecticut has been to Toad’s Place at least once in their lives, and if not, you need to get here. This place has been around even before my mom was in college (sorry, Mom). Toad’s Place has different shows almost every night, ranging from hip hop artists to jam bands and more. While Jim Morrison wasn't arrested here, he was arrested in New Haven back in the day. So, if you do come here it’s like you were almost at the same place as Jim Morrison, so that’s pretty cool.

4. Santos Party House of New York City

This New York City concert hall and dance club is partially owned by none other than Andrew W.K. If you’re ever in the city, you should definitely stop by and check it out. I once went here for a “home for the holidays” show during the winter featuring some of my favorite bands. It’s a rather small space, but it’s definitely lively and energetic. It’s been quite a few years since I’ve been, but I had one of the best concert experiences at this very spot.

5. Simon's 677 of Providence, Rhode Island

I love this place. This venue is a combination of an indoor stage and an outdoor space with a bar. Unfortunately, it may be on the verge of closing, but there are efforts to keep the venue alive with benefit shows. I once came here for a small festival during the summer, and was able to enjoy the outdoor space and listen to live music at the same time. It would be such a shame to see this place shut down.

Guitarist Chris Pulgarin of Rhode Island-based band Lions Lions says, "When you don't fit into the world around you, it's very easy to feel lost and alone. What my local venues did for me was provide a home. They brought me to a place where I wasn't alone and surrounded by like-minded people, longing to be a part of something bigger. Simon's 677 has given me friendships and memories that will last forever. I'll be very sad to see the venue go."