The Best And The Worst Anime From Spring 2017

Some Anime are great, some are pretty bad, and some are just downright awful.

413
Randaris-anime.net

The Good

My Hero Academia Season 2

So, My Hero Academia is one of the biggest hits in Anime right now, and its currently airing second season is delivering just as well as the first season did, last Spring. The Series follows a young high school student: Izuku Midoriya, or "Deku", and explores how he transitions from powerless in a world of superheroes, to becoming a hero of his own, as he learns to control and master his newly acquired superpower. My Hero Academia thrives off of its strong cast of interesting, and diverse character, that each has their own power or "quirk", as well as their interactions with each other, both in the classroom, and in combat. With beautiful art and animation, a killer soundtrack, and a stellar English DUb by Funimation, this show should certainly be on your radar.

Rage Of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

Again, a sequel appears on this list. Rage of Bahamut is a criminally underrated series, and stands out as one of the best fantasy Anime to come out in years. Again, this series thrives off of its strong characters, and their unique dynamic and motivation. This series follows a multitude of characters, each with their own motivation, and goals, as they explore this diverse fantasy realm, filled with dragons, demons, and even zombies. Rage of Bahamut also just scrams "cool"; every character acts with their own sense of style, and "badassness" that creates such a great tone, and "rule of cool" vibe for the show. The Music is also a selling point, as the first season's opening is easily one of my favorites, due to its intense, "scream-o" sound that just fits the series so well. Definitely check out this underrated gem.

WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us?

Besides the fact that this show has a ridiculously long title, there really is not too much too talk about. Feels kind of generic, but still enjoyable. The show takes place in an interesting post-apocalyptic world, where basically all of the humans are gone. There are some decent action scenes, and a few scenes that were legitimately funny. Nothing great, but still enjoyable nonetheless.

Love Tyrant

So again, nothing too remarkable here. Kind of a dumb comedy, but has an interesting set up, since it is a parody of Death Note: one of the greatest Anime ever written.Some funny scenes here and there, and decent characters, but not too spectacular.

Kado: The Right Answer

This show is actually surprisingly good. I expected something boring and contrived, but actually has a really cool "Arrival" type feel to it. The plot is centered around this alien cube that just shows up on Earth one day, and no one knows what it is, or if it is dangerous. Do not want to say too much to avoid spoilers for this one, but definitely should check out if you are a fan of movies like Arrival, or The Day The Earth Stood Still.

Sakura Quest

So, P.A. Works is a very "hit or miss" studio for me; their shows are either lighthearted and highly enjoyable, or they are extremely edgy and convoluted. Thankfully, Sakura Quest is the former, and seems lighthearted, relaxing, and just overall fun. I have only seen one episode of the show so far, however, right away the main character really resonates with me, as I too am starting to find my place within the world, and am trying to figure out how it works. While not the best of the season, Sakura Quest has potential to be one of the better shows, due to interesting premise, and likeable cast.

Boruto: Naruto Next Generations

Story time: Naruto has always been one of my favorite shows ever, just because it has always been with me, and has a pretty large impact on my life. I was that kid that would run like Naruto back in gym class in elementary school (only for like two weeks, leave me alone). When I heard they were making a spin-off about Naruto's son, Boruto, I was both confused, but also intrigued; even though the series concluded nicely, I could see why they decided to continue the story with the children of all of the main characters. Initially, I thought this series was just going to be a cash grab, and even though that is what it most likely is, it still has an endearing story to tell. Boruto tells a story reminiscent of the early parts of Naruto, when it was arguably best; a young knucklehead learning how to socially interact with others, and slowly grow over time, in terms of power, and as a person.This series just has a vibe to it that makes it both action packed, and intense, but also relaxing and nostalgic. It is nice to see that as the original fans grew older, the show grew with them, and is able to create this sense of nostalgia, through the cast's children. I think Michael Scott put it best when he said

Boruto takes the top spot for me this season, based off of the shear nostalgia, and good vibes I get from it.

The Bad

Gonna keep this one short. I do not like Attack On Titan. Too Edgy. Poor writing. Bad characters. Only redeeming factors are the killer soundtrack, and beautiful animation. Do not watch it.

Alice and Zouroku

Alice and Zouroku is not inherently "bad" per say, however, it is just really boring. The writing is stale, and generic, none of the characters are interesting, and the plot is a mess. The power system at first seems cool and unique, as it relies on imagination, but I am not even sure if that is it, since nothing in this show makes sense. The art and animation is also disappointing, as it just appears dull and drab, which further adds to the sense of boredom. Just a boring show that should be skipped.

The Ugly

Eromanga Sensei

Stop making Anime about incest.

Seven Mortal Sins

Stop making Anime designed to sell perverted figures.

Berserk (2017)

Stop remaking Bersek in badly done CGI.

Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor

I hate this show with every fiber of my being. Besides being generic, and another stereotypical magical school, light novel adaptation, this show is just downright offensive. The uniforms the girls wear in this series are sexist, the main character is an overtly perverted asshole, that is not at all likeable, and the series has no limits when it comes to fan service. This show uses a rape scene to try and turn on the viewer, by showing one of the main characters being forcefully undressed; instead of showing fear, the girl just sits idly by, until the main character of course has to save the down. This show is simply offensive and irredeemable.

I hope this brief overview of Spring 2017 helps you find some shows you like or even steers you away from some of the trash that is also airing.