The Art Of Language | The Odyssey Online

The Art Of Language

Words Can Change the World

66
The Art Of Language

"The limits of my language are the limits of my world." These words from the late Austrian-British philosopher, Ludwig Wittgenstein, reveal the purpose of language in our lives: it is through language that we express ourselves and that the world has meaning to us. I find it fascinating how mere sounds that we produce through our vocal chords can be coherent enough to then be received and understood by another being, whether it be rational or animal. The most effective way for you to express your thoughts in your mind, however abstract they may be, is through language. Whether you speak it or write it, language serves as an intermediary between two beings having an interaction.

The famous John Keating (A.K.A. Robin Williams) of The Dead Poet Society once advised his students, "So avoid using the word ‘very’ because it’s lazy. A man is not very tired, he is exhausted. Don’t use very sad, use morose." There is a greatness in those words that carry so much more weight with them. The use of a different word can change the entirety of a sentence. All words have inherent connotations that they carry. Some, due to our own experiences, have a special meaning to us, whether sentimental or hateful. No matter what, the more precise you are, the better you will express yourself, and the better you will be understood. Nobody likes to be misunderstood, so pull out your thesaurus or your etymological dictionary and find the verbiage for which you are looking!

Going back to Ludwig Wittgenstein, our understanding of the world is limited to his language. For example, children have a very limited understanding of the wold because they have not encountered much language, and therefore, few ideas. However, as their knowledge of language grows, so does their understanding of the world. Through communicating, however simple it may be, their understanding of the world increases because they can absorb new information given to them.

Likewise, people who have the opportunity to go to further education have a deeper understanding of the world around them. Reading great thinkers and hearing professors teach on new topics expands one's view of the world. There is no price that can be put on studying the wise and leading people of the world. The more you learn from the language of the great thinkers, the easier you will be able to find your own voice. By thinking for yourself, you can shape your manner of language to your personality and beliefs. Another lesson from John Keating, "You must strive to find your own voice because the longer you wait to begin, the less likely you are to find it at all. Thoreau said, "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation." Don't be resigned to that. Break out!"

The other weekend, I had a fantastic opportunity to volunteer at the Mexican consulate. We helped the permanent residents fill out their applications to become US citizens. I have been studying Spanish for seven years now, so I was able to talk with some of the people who have roots in Latin America. It was fulfilling to meet these people, coming from all sorts of backgrounds and carrying a variety of past experiences. The amazing part was seeing many people, who did not speak English too well, to make the effort to go through the arduous process toward citizenship. Because of my ability to speak Spanish, I was able to help them along the way.

Another example of the power of language I experienced a couple of weeks ago on the DART, the Dallas Area Rapid Transit. I shadow a physician assistant downtown twice a week and I take the DART to get there. I've had some interesting experiences on the DART late at night and early in the morning. For example, I got to encounter a deaf, mute man one day as I waited for the train to arrive. He approached me with a slip of paper that said "Smile! Have a good day! I am deaf and mute, selling these cards to make a living. Any donation is welcome." I gave him a few bucks and then tried to start a conversation with him. I pulled my little knowledge of the ASL alphabet out of my back pocket. I was able to carry out a 5-minute conversation with this deaf man, who I had just met, even though he was signing way too fast for me to keep up. But without my knowledge of ASL, I would have been able to help out my newly found friend that day and share company with him.

Additionally, many great thinkers changed the world through their use of language. Take Aristotle for example. His writings are some of the basics from which all philosophy stems. Or, Jesus Christ. His preaching that He is the Son of God and that salvation comes to all those who repent and believe in the Gospel has renewed God's covenant with his creation, humanity. More modernly, the speeches that Martin Luther King Jr. gave invoked social reform and equality in America. John Keating does not let us down again with his encouragement, "No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world." We all have the power to change and leave our mark on the world by expressing our unique selves through language.

So where do you go from here? I encourage you to learn, more of your first language and then start delving into other languages. I have received much fulfillment from learning Spanish. It takes a lot of work, but it is definitely worth it in the long run. Next on my list, I want to perfect my Italian and continue to work on my French. For something to leave you with, John Keating has one last persuasion to be diligent with improving your language, "Language was invented for one reason, boys – to woo women – and, in that endeavor, laziness will not do."