The Angel Of Rexburg | The Odyssey Online

The Angel Of Rexburg

Angels are people in our lives, serving us when we least expect it, performing miracles both great and small.

24
The Angel Of Rexburg

It was a cold day and I was in a hurry to get some last minute groceries for the party I was helping out with. I rushed to Broulim's, grabbed what I needed and started to check out.

"Umm...it says your card is declined."

I looked at the cashier, thoughts of what I could do if they couldn't get it to accept my card, "...can you try again?" He did as I asked, but nothing changed.

"I can ask the manager if you would like?"

"Yes, please."

We waited for the manager to check it out, and when I say "we" I mean the line of people behind me, wishing they'd chosen a different checkout.

"Are you from another state, miss?" The manager finally asked.

"Yes, is that a problem?"

"Well, sometimes your bank will put a hold on your card if they think it might not be you."

Great, I thought. I was already late and feeling like an idiot for holding up the line.

"Excuse me," I turned around and looked at the lady in line right behind me. She looked familiar. I couldn't place her at first, though. "Can I buy your groceries for you?"

A lot of feelings went through my head. The first was embarrassment because this lady probably just wanted things to move along so she could get home to her family, but then I thought about all those stories that were about little miracles that happened because someone decided to do an act of kindness. I almost wanted to cry, then. "You don't have to do that."

"I know I don't have to, but I have the money right here and my husband said it was all right."

I remembered her then. She was the same lady who had given me a ride home nearly four years ago while I was a new student at BYU-Idaho and had obviously bought too many groceries to carry home on foot one night. That first act of kindness inspired me to offer others rides once I got my own car. It was a memory I recalled every time I started thinking about all the blessings in my life. Now, I would have a new memory. I let her swipe her card and I gave her a big hug. I didn't know what else to say besides, "thank you."

"No worries. I remember that you were a great person back when you first got up here to college." She smiled a majestic smile, "can I give you a ride home tonight?"

"I have my own car now, actually, but thank you so much!"

I left quickly because I was already late for the party, but the rest of the night I thought about both of the times the same sweet lady had served me. I don't know why she happened to be right there when I needed help or how she was right there the time before, but I thanked God for such a simple miracle yet again in my life. Again, he sent me an angel right when I needed her. My Rexburg Angel.