The ABCs Of Quinnipiac

The ABCs Of Quinnipiac

You will only understand if you're a true Bobcat.

362
The ABCs Of Quinnipiac
Not Duck

Quinnipiac, oh Quinnipiac what would we do without you? We all decided to come to Quinnipiac University for a reason. Maybe it was the beautiful campuses, the green grass, views of the Sleeping Giant State Park, facilities, major, location, who knows. But, we made it to college and QU was our destination. It is our home away from home in Hamden, CT. However, there are the things only you understand once you're on the inside and a living, breathing bobcat. Here are the ABC's of Quinnipiac University:

A is for Arnold Bernard

You have probably spent too many hours in good 'ole Arnold, whether it is cramming for midterms/finals, going to the Bursar's office, printing your paper last minute, hitting the Tech Center because your laptop is spazzing, or just sitting in a comfy chair. No matter what, the library is the focal point on the quad and plays some cool tunes every hour. Oh, and it is most likely featured on every QU girl's Instagram.

B is for Bobcats

We live the legend, all day every day. We are the Bobcats and always repping the lovely combination of blue and gold.

C is for Chartwells

Chartwells, anyone? You most likely cringed just reading that word. With it, we have a typical college dining service, but without it, our digestive systems might still be normal, but that's college food for ya.

D is for Division 1 Sports

We may not be a powerhouse state school, but our D1 teams have truly made a name for themselves in the past years. And, the student body is actually one that really supports their teams. Go Bobcats!

E is for Eli's on Whitney

You're not truly a Quinnipiac student if you haven't brought your parents to Eli's. Definitely some of the best burgers and nachos in town.

F is for Football?

Yeah, on that list of D1 sports at Quinnipiac you won't see football. There are some legends about why this is, but no one truly knows. No football tailgates for us. Tears.

G is for Greek life

The Greek life percentage continues to grow on campus with more and more people repping their sorority or fraternity letters. It's like a little community and family away from home supporting a great cause. We will never get to the level of the South, but for a private school in CT, we're doing pretty well.

H is for Hep Creek

This little pond in between the tennis courts and Dana English Hall gets it name from its very interesting appearance. It's a little pond with big consequences for those unfortunate people that have jumped into that pond and have come out smelling truly rank.

I is for Ice

Pretty much the only thing that is free at Quinnipiac is a cup of ice (except on May Weekend when they decide to charge us per cup). But, ice is pretty relevant to Quinnipiac with the New England winter we experience and our killer men and women's Ice Hockey teams.

J is for Java John

"What do you got there?" "Anything to drink?" "Oh, you're so kind." "Is it your birthday?" "Thank you Doctor (insert last name)." "Tap it!"

K is for 50(K)

Well, we all know the steep price tag to attend our school, but it seems it's the case for most colleges these days. Some say the money goes into the grass or the possible Equestrian Center that might be built? Who knows, just thank God for scholarships.

L is for Lahey

The man, the myth, the legend. President John Lahey is a rare sight on campus, but seeing him always calls for a selfie. TBT to his appearance at a party last semester. What a guy.

M is for May Weekend

What is May (but actually usually April) and the end of the school year without May Weekend? Cookouts, music, partying, sundresses, sports, and spending some time with your closest friends before summer. Especially for seniors, it is the last hoorah before graduation. Doesn't get any better.

N is for New Haven

Too many nights and poor decisions in this place. A usual Thursday and Saturday night are spent here for a Bobcat with a questionable shuttle ride to go with it. It is always a new experience in New Hayhay.

O is for Out of Meal Plan

For some reason, QU is one of those schools that doesn't have swipes but actually has meal plan money. There is always that time at the end of the semester where you are either buying a meal plan, selling it, or buying water, iced tea, or candy in way overpriced bulk.

P is for Pizza

What college kid doesn't like pizza? But, for QU students, in particular, it is at a whole new level. Dominoes, Droogies, Eli's, and, of course, Yorkside. We love our pizza.

Q is for Quad

It is the central hub for QU students to get around campus and to class. Who knows who made the layout for the walkways, but rule number #1: Never. Walk. Across. The. Grass. But, the Quad is a great place to chill and people-watch during the nicer seasons, go to events, and sometimes the food trucks come in clutch out there from ice cream cones to macaroni and cheese grilled cheeses.

R is for Ratt

Oh, the Ratt (or Bobcat Den for the hardo's out there). It used to be a bar, but then it converted into a late night place to grab some food. From Mondo's to smoothies, to ice cream, to chasers, to some greasy pizza, the Ratt is dear to most QU student's hearts.

S is for Sleeping Giant

Everyone at Quinnipiac knows the legend of that giant mountain looking over campus from Freshman Orientation. And most likely everyone has made the steep climb to the top. It truly is a breathtaking sight to look over campus from the top of that mountain. And when the leaves turn colors in the Fall it is quite the backdrop to our already beautiful campus.

T is for Toad's

Black hole? Best place on earth? It is all up to interpretation. A night at Toad's is truly a process from the start, and to an outsider, we could all be crazy. But what is the fun in a mellow night? Who doesn't like shuttle rides, running through New Haven, waiting in lines, getting shoved, and Toad's juice? Toad's is a QU staple, and one of those things you just have to experience on your own to understand. Peace, Love, and the Pursuit of Toads.

U is for Uber

For those of you who are committed to your time out, even when the shuttles are shut down and there's six feet of snow, Uber comes in clutch.

V is for Visitors

For some reason, Security can go from a simple wave to showing your birth certificate and giving a limb for proof of identity to get on campus. And, they definitely do not take visitors lightly. One visitor, once every two weeks, a pass needed at all times, and actually proof of identity.

W is for Wap, Fetty Wap

Lowkey Fetty Wap is our Spring Concert? Who would've thought QU could pull that off?

X is for X on your hand

Don't lie: you have had an X on your hand at least once in your time at QU. And, as fast as it was put there, you most likely rubbed it right off.

Y is for Yale Rivalry

The Yale vs. QU hockey game is one filled with chants and a packed crowd (if you ended up getting a ticket that sold out in .00000003 seconds or pawned it off of someone after your disappointment). Our biggest rivals by far, and it might be just because of our close proximity, or just that they're Yale. Yuck Fale.

Z is for Zzzzs

What college student doesn't like to sleep? Sleep through class, sleep instead of going to the gym, sleep through a Netflix episode, etc. Napping is just as important for kindergartners as it for college students. But, we also end up never sleeping. At times, you may have spent the night out or watching the sunrise from Arnold.