The 4 Best Snacks On The Go! | The Odyssey Online

The 4 Best Snacks On The Go!

Anything to avoid hanger is OK with me.

4
The 4 Best Snacks On The Go!

As a new nurse and a recent college grad, I've had to revamp my snacking style to suit my new on the go lifestyle. I have found that if I don't have snacks at hand I will get HANGRY. If you haven't heard of hangry, it's a super fun mixture of hungry and angry that results from not eating enough. This condition is very serious and must be treated with any kind of food ASAP; the catch is that I try to keep things as healthy as possible, so I have to be prepared for the hanger. Here are a few of the things I keep around to keep the hanger monster away!

1. Anything Protein!

Protein helps me get through my day without feeling over full but it's not a snack that leaves me starving the next minute. Cheese sticks are good if you have a fridge to keep them cold (nobody likes warm cheese) and protein bars are wonderful! The only downside to them is that they can be chewy or sweet and require lots of water to help wash them down. To be quite honest, I look like a chipmunk with a full peanut in its mouth when I eat a protein bar. Another good source of protein is any type of nut. I buy the tins of nuts and munch on them throughout the day or I have trail mix handy. I saved an old tin of almonds and put my trail mix inside. It gives me a good portion size and keeps it somewhat sanitary.

2. Teddy Grams.

Not only are they cute and childlike but they help me get away from some of the salt of the nuts. They are a good clean snack on the run. They are easy to pack and you can throw just a couple of them in your mouth as you are running where ever you are running too-- just try not to choke! You can always substitute Teddy Grams with Cheez-Its or any kind of cracker, really. In fact, these items come in handy pre-made packs that you can grab on the go.

3. Chocolate.

We all have those days where we just crave chocolate, and it really isn't a bad thing if you don't eat it 24/7. The occasional chocolate can calm you down and give you the boost you need to get through the day. Thanks, endorphines! I keep Halloween-type candy in my desk and limit myself to between one and two a day just so I don't overdo it on my sugar. Trust me, in this job chocolate is your best friend.

4. Water.

Be sure to always keep yourself hydrated! Along with food to keep you from getting too hangry, be sure to drink plenty of water. Getting dehydrated is just as bad for you as getting hunger pains.