The 11th Commandment

The 11th Commandment

Thou Shalt Not Trash the Environment

72
The 11th Commandment
New Heaven on Earth.wordpress

* Trigger warning: God, sin, and religion.

The environment. It’s always been an important topic, however, lately it’s been more of a hot topic (get it? Because global warming??) We’ve had the hottest year on record, which may sound nice in theory, but what it really means, is not so nice. We are quite literally melting and trashing our plant and turning this place we temporarily inhibit as if we have 1000 more (we don’t). I think this is especially interesting in the Christian community. I personally know a lot of right-wing type “Christians” who boast about not caring for the planet and call us environmentally conscious Christian people names like hippies, snowflakes, or liberals (thanks, I take all of those as compliments though). What they may not understand is, trashing the environment is a sin. And that’s that.

Think about it, God gave us this planet to use for our enjoyment and His glory. But its ultimately God’s, “The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, the world, and those who dwell in it. For He has founded it upon the seas and established it upon the rivers”. (Psalm 24:1-2) God gave it to us. The earth is amazing, and we have everything we need here. When God created it, He intended to have us care for it, to be stewards. In the first book of the bible, God told Adam to live in the Garden of Eden, and care for it. He told Adam to care for the creatures, and name them all. Yes, God gave us authority and a special job, but He also told us to learn from the animals, “But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish of the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind”. ( Job 12:7-10 NIV) What do you think God thinks about us making so many animals and creatures extinct? God mourns for them. Pope Francis says, We must not be indifferent or resigned to the loss of biodiversity and the destruction of ecosystems, often caused by our irresponsible and selfish behavior, because of us, thousands of species will no longer give glory to God by their very existence … We have no such right.”(The Guardian) We have been greedy and let our desire for money and more things override our responsibility to care. I wish that these Christians who have bumper stickers supporting fracking or the Dakota Access Pipeline would consider this. Along with trashing the environment come other concerns Christians should always be thinking about such as, droughts, famines, and hungry people. So many people have to leave they’re homes in search for food because of these tragedies. So many children have been orphaned due to their parents dying of starvation. Less of this would happen if we were fair and respectful when thinking about the environment. As my boy Pope Francis said either, “Climate change is also contributing to the heart-rending refugee crisis. The world’s poor, though least responsible for climate change, are most vulnerable and already suffering its impact.” (The Guardian)

Now I am a HUGE believer in grace, and I’m not trying to preach or call anyone out, but I think that along with all the other issues the Christian community is discussing, we cant forget about this one. I hear Christians arguing over LGBTQ+ rights, drug use, premarital sex, and other “hot topics” all the time, and these are all important, valid, and should be discussed! But why do these people just ignore the planet issue? Oh that’s right, they’re ignorant, and only focus on issues they want to shame others for. If some one who claims to be a Christian laughs at me for using a menstrual cup, making my own deodorant, and going to DAPAL protests, I can just say I am following the will of Jesus, avoiding sin as He calls us to.