That's So Remake! | The Odyssey Online

That's So Remake!

That's So Raven reboot announced & why Hollywood should hope off the remake train

10
That's So Remake!
Playbuzz

This past Thursday, October 27, Raven Symoné announced that she would be leaving The View by the end of the year and relocating to Los Angeles from New York. Along with this, Raven revealed that she has been working with Disney to create a spinoff of the hit show That's So Raven, which originally aired from 2003 until 2007. The reboot is said to follow Raven's psychic character as a mother who learns that one of her two children has inherited her ability to "gaze into the future."

While many were surprised to hear of the reboot, this is not the first we're seeing of it from the Disney company. In fact, this isn't even the first spin-off of That's So Raven. Lest we not forget the all-important Cory In The House. Haven't heard of it? Look it up. Joking aside, there have been a few Disney throw-backs being brought back to life in recent years. Girl Meets World, a show based around the daughter of Cory Matthews from the original 90's show Boy Meets World, is well into its third season. On top of this, Netflix's spin-off of the 90's ABC show Full House has plans for a second season itself.

If we think about it, it's not surprising at all that Disney has chosen to take the road of nostalgia - it definitely sells. Not only do these shows cater to the children who watch Disney, but also tugs at the heartstrings of the parents of those children, who wonder what happened to their favorite characters from "back in the good old days". The more people they can cater to, the more views and ratings these shows will receive. These reboots also stay on trend with the rest of Hollywood, who seem to be popping out all kinds of reboots and remakes alike.

When I first heard about Raven's return to Disney, I was definitely excited. It, however, got me to thinking about what the remake trend is all about I love getting a blast from the past just as much as the next guy, and I really do appreciate the enthusiasm we're all having for television and movies from the past. That being said, am I the only one who feels like the excitement of hearing that a remake is being made is far more entertaining than the actual remake itself? We all love the idea of it and reminiscing as our media floods with cast reunion photos and trailers for what's to come. Then when the actual show/movie is released, it's either a really poorly done exact copy or a disappointing addition to something that should've been left alone.

I have to be honest, I'm not really buying into Hollywood's cheap ploy to make money off of old ideas - sorry, but not really. They know that whether the end product is good or terrible, people (me included) are going to want to see what they've done with their beloved shows and films. It's not fair that they get to make money off of recycled ideas and concepts, and toy with the emotions of the masses in the process.

"If it's not broken, don't fix it" said one. "Let sleeping dogs lye," said another, and I agree. I'm tired of getting my hopes up just to feel cheated out of my money, time, and childhood. I don't know when this phase will end, but I hope Hollywood's writer's block clears up pretty soon.