A Thank You To My Big Brother

A Thank You To My Big Brother

Because I rarely say it.

16
A Thank You To My Big Brother
Patty Scalabrini

Dear Big Bro,

At this moment, there are 7 billion people in this world. Fate could have sent us to be in separate families with any one of those 7 billion people, but somehow the cards magically played out for us to grow up together. I don't know about you, but I feel truly blessed to have been born into such a loving family in a small town in the greatest nation on the planet. It hasn't always been easy, but we have somehow managed to keep each other alive despite our seemingly incessant fights.

Thank you for breaking in mom and dad. You were the lucky firstborn who got to test the waters on what rules we could break and what the consequences of our irresponsible decisions would be. Because of this, I was able to be a bystander and watch whether your actions would result in dignified applause or a screaming session. Likewise, the punishments for me following in the footsteps of your careless choices also usually resulted in a less cruel consequence for me. Thanks for taking the brunt of mom and dad's rage and for teaching them how to decrease their disciplinary actions to an appropriate level. Also, thank you for instructing me to learn from your mistakes... I'll continue to "do as you say, not as you do" since that is one of the lessons that you have drilled into my head.

Thank you for spending time with me, even though I used to have to trick you into playing with me by saying that I would beat you in a game. You taught me what competition is all about, and you showed me that winning isn't everything. After all, whether I like to admit it or not, you normally beat me in games...and you still do for the most part.

Thank you for not getting mad at me for wanting to play the same sports that you played. I practically grew up in an ice rink watching you play hockey, so eventually I figured I might as well try it, too! From the very start, you supported my decision to play a male-dominated sport, and you helped me learn how to do everything from tying my own skates to checking my opponents. Thank you for teaching me how to be tough, to stand up for myself, and to follow my passions despite the negativity that others put into my head about my fervor toward ice hockey.

Thank you for motivating me to get good grades in school and for helping me with my homework. I would not have made it through the countless agonizing hours of math homework without you. I also would not have pushed myself as hard as I have if you had not strived toward success in school prior to me. Also, thank you for being a positive role model and for staying out of trouble at school... It was always reassuring to know that your teachers generally admired you, and therefore my educational experience would be much smoother since you earned their respect toward our family's name.

Thank you for wanting to protect me from the world's corruption and pain. I will never forget how you handled my first experience with death when we had to say goodbye to our first dog who had been with us since birth. You kept wiping away my tears, and you desperately attempted to put a smile on my somber face. You began to tickle me until I could not stop laughing, and then you suggested that we play my favorite video game to take my mind off my grief. You put aside our normal sibling rivalry in order to make me feel better, and, in my opinion, that's what being a big brother is all about.

Thank you for being my go-to person when I need help with activities that I cannot discuss with our parents. Also, thank you for keeping my secrets and for brushing away my fears. It means the world to have such a strong rope of trust linked between us because I realize that not all siblings share that bond.

Most importantly, thank you for being such an amazing example and role model for me. You have shaped me into the person I am today, and I am beyond blessed to have you in my life. Thanks for everything you have done and continue to do for me!

Love always,

Your Baby Sister

P.S. I hope you have changed your mind about sending me back to the hospital like you had wanted to do when I was born!