A Thank You Letter To The Coach Who Changed My Life

Even though our time has come to an end, I hope to continue our relationship for years to come.

2580
Bridget Christner

Dear Coach,

While we may no longer see each other on a daily basis, I want you to know that you will always be in my heart. After just four short years together, you’re no longer just a coach to me; you’re family. Just like any family member, I want to take the time to thank you for all that you’ve done to help build me into the person that I am today.

First, I would like to thank you for introducing me to the sport that I now love. As a freshman in high school, I had no idea what was in store for me. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that a sport would mean so much to me, nor did I think that it would change me the ways that it has. You introduced me to a sport that pushed my limits and also made me stronger both physically and mentally.

Second, thank you for always believing in me. There’s a quote out there somewhere that says that “sometimes we need others to believe in us even if we can’t believe in ourselves.” For me, you were that person. Regardless of the circumstances, you always knew the right words to say to get me back on my feet. Whether it was in practice or at the starting line, you gave me the confidence to do what needed to be done and then take it even further.

Thank you for taking care of me. You always joked and said that your athletes were like your children, but to me, you were basically my second mom. You boosted my spirits on a bad day, gave me advice, listened to my problems, laughed at my jokes, fed me, and even gave me medicine when I wasn’t feeling my best. Not only that, but you were always so proud of me. As if your hugs and verbal praise weren’t enough, you would also brag about my accomplishments to others and hang my pictures up in your office. Not every coach would do that, and I know for a fact that I wasn’t the only kid you did that for either.

Thank you for inspiring me. This applies not only to me as an athlete, but also me as a person. I could go on for hours about how you always pushed me to do my best athletically. Obviously, I wasn’t your best athlete, but that didn’t stop you from always encouraging me to do my best. That’s not all you did. You also inspired me with your kindness and your compassion for others. Some coaches don’t care about their athletes outside of the sport, but you do. You take the time to check up on others, and you’re always there when someone needs you. Just like you were always there when I needed you.

Finally, thank you for having fun with me. In school people always thought you were uptight, and as a coach you were known for constantly pushing your athletes, conjuring up the hardest workouts you could possibly think of, but you still knew how to have a good time. From "Pizza Practices", post-meet Dairy Queen, silly photo shoots, to even dabbing, you never failed to make our time together entertaining. Even better, you put up with our constant shenanigans in practice, and that is a feat all in itself.

So even though our time together as athlete and coach has come to an end, I still hope to continue our relationship for many years to come. Because of you, I’m stronger, happier, and more confident than I have ever been. I know that I can take on whatever life throws at me because I will always have you and all the lessons that you have taught me. You’ve changed my life in so many ways, and I know that I wouldn’t be the person that I am today without you. Thank you coach.

Love,

-A Former (and hopefully still your favorite) Athlete