A Thank You Letter To My Dog | The Odyssey Online

A Thank You Letter To My Dog

Thank You for all the memories.

48
A Thank You Letter To My Dog

Dear Rocky,

In 2001, You came into my life and It was the best thing to ever happen. I was begging for a dog and my mom finally caved in and said yes. We went to the pet store and you were so cute and handsome. We played with you and I threw a tennis ball and you brought it back and placed it on my lap. From that moment I knew you were perfect and had to have you. Little did I know you were already mine at the moment and mom was keeping you there for a surprise. It was Valentines day and she brought you home! I was so happy I was in tears. I was 7 years old at the time but I feel like it way yesterday.

The 15 years I had with you was amazing and wouldn't trade it for the world. You weren't like most dogs. Like us humans, you enjoyed your sleep and slept for most of the day. We were able to trust you and didn't put you in a kennel. You rarely barked, nor jumped and we thank you for that. But your snoring was like no other. We often joked saying that if someone was breaking into the house, you would scare them away. You had your accidents but you never tried to hide them. You also chewed our socks and managed to eat it whole, Please explain to me how thats possible!

You knew when it was time for breakfast. Every morning you would start to cry asking for your food. Grandma spoiled you giving you bread and when I had waffles, I would give you some of that. When it was dinner, you sat by our side patiently waiting for us to drop something. You constantly wagged your tail furiously, hitting it against a chair or cabinets leaving us to think if it hurt or not.

Christmas came and we couldn't find you in the house. I look under the tree and there you were like a present. It was the cutest thing you have done and continued to do so until the tree was taken down. Walking you in the snow was a laugh. You struggled but you had fun.

Thank you for always being there for my mom and I. I left for college and you were all she had. When she was sad, you walked into her room and laid next to her bed. You were there for her when I couldn't. When I would come home for breaks, You would be so happy when you saw me, wagging your tail and of course start to cry. I would sit on the floor and love on you. Don't tell grandma but I looked forward to seeing you the most!

I got my dog friendly apartment and you came home with me. I loved coming home to see you. I had a carpet by my bed and of course you would lay there by my side. February of 2017 you began to get sick. You were already 15 years old. You constantly had accidents in the house and I know you didn't mean to. Of course I was angry but please know that I didn't mind it. I didn't mind cleaning up after your mess. After several days, you began to eat again and I was so happy. Grandma and I bought you diapers so I wouldn't be cleaning constantly. It worked for the time being.

Saying goodbye to you was one of the hardest things we ever had to do and I hope you forgive us for our decision on putting you down, but you were in pain and suffering. You barely walked anymore and was hopping on 3 legs until you couldn't anymore. March 27th was one of the most painful days of our lives and to this day it still hurts. I go into the kitchen and I imagine you there. I am constantly thinking of you. I still say good morning to you and goodnight, like I always did. People tell me that I had it tough and frankly I did. Grandma says that she wishes she had to deal with it and not me but I'm happy that I did. Im happy because I got to spend the last 3 months with you. I wouldn't change it for the world. Thank you for all the memories and know that no dog could ever replace you. You have a special place in our hearts. Grandma and I love you so much and miss you tremendously. Go on, play with your doggie cousins in heaven and most importantly, rest peacefully.

Love,

Your Fur Mommy.