A Thank You Letter to my Mom on this Christmas

I cannot even imagine getting where I am now without you. As so I thank you.

16975

Mom,

On this Christmas, I wanted to say thank you. For as long as I can remember, you have been both my mother and my father. You have done the impossible, you have proven me wrong, you have encouraged me to achieve unthinkable dreams. I cannot even imagine getting where I am now without you. As so I thank you.

I thank you for being my mother, not my best friend. You have taught me wrong versus right. You have taught me the difference between good and bad decisions. You have taught me forgiveness and endless love. Kids brag about how their mothers are their best friends, but I disagree. Without discipline and constructive criticism, I would not be half the woman I am today. You built me to be a strong, brave lady.

And so I thank you for being my best friend. Your ability to balance our friendship and mother/daughter relationship is impeccable. You have been my rock since day one (literally). You have been on my side through thick and thin. You have belly laughed with me about things no one else would find funny besides us. You have cried with me through every heart-wrenching break up. You have supported me in every bold decision I have ever made. You have been my number one since AYSO soccer when I was just learning the art of being an athlete. You didn’t watch me follow my dreams, you followed them with me. You have given up the last cookie for me, even when you really did want it. And you have been strong for me when I couldn’t be strong for myself. You grew up with me, played with me, and moved forward with me. I cannot even begin to explain how crucial this is to a relationship.

You have given up your own life to pursue mine with me. You drove me places even if you have your own plans for years before I had my license. You lent me your car when I needed to get places even if you had your own places to go. You have canceled your own plans to make sure I got to do what I wanted. You have given up your own needs to make sure mine are fulfilled. I will forever be grateful for that.

Thank you for telling me “only spending x amount of money on each kid for Christmas” for the entire months of November and December, only to exceed the amount on every kid. Thank you for making sure to surprise us with something good, even though all we ask for is gift cards. Mostly, thank you for knowing my style and always picking out the perfect clothes for me. Not many parents are blessed with said skills.

Thank you for never being too busy for me. Thank you for staying up till 4 a.m. with me to finish my project the night before it’s due, even when you have work at 6 a.m. the next morning. Thank you for taking over when I can’t seem to do the project the right way, only to give me all the credit when anyone sees it. Thank you for coming to every single soccer game of mine, even if you worked a 10 hour shift at work beforehand.

Thank you for powering through every day, no matter how hard life gets. Thank you for not losing your mind with me, Josh, and Kate raising hell in the house. Thank you for doing the dished every day, even when you ask us 50 times to have it done before you get home from work. I know you hate it, and I know it hurts your feelings. I know. But thank you for not complaining. Thank you for not getting upset. Thank you for taking one for the team… you know dishes are too much to ask for from us (totally kidding).

When I was younger, I knew I wanted to be a vet when I grew up. When I was in high school, I knew I wanted to be a physical therapist when I grew up. Well, now I’m grown up. 20 years deep into life, and I don’t know what career I want to have. But let’s be honest mom, there’s nothing I want more than to be exactly like you when I grow up.

You are the world to me, and I literally cannot express the gratitude I have for everything you do. I know sometimes we butt heads, and I drive you nuts. But thank you for making up with me 5 minutes later, even if it was World War III between us.

But most of all mom, thank you for being a really good cook.

I love you more than life itself.

Xoxo

Sar

P.S. Can we have mini meatloaves again before I go back to school? Thanks.