Thank You, Keuka | The Odyssey Online

Thank You, Keuka

A thank you letter from a graduating senior

7
Thank You, Keuka
NYCSHE

It all started with just one response in a text message.

"Keuka intrigues me."

Intrigues.

That was it. The text message sent from my dad made my decision for me. I'll never forget it. He probably has no clue either, but it determined my future.

Rewind to the spring of 2015, where I was attending my local community college at the end of my sophomore year, and had no clue about my future. I applied to many other schools in the area to transfer to and finish my bachelor's degree, but none of them truly appealed to me. I just really didn't have a set career in mind, nor did I want to move away from home. So I narrowed it down to Keuka or SUNY Oswego. I couldn't tell you why I liked Keuka, maybe because of the lake and all of the pretty pictures you see online, but I picked Oswego because it was only about 45 minutes away from home. A short commute if I was ever homesick, but a large student population and crappy weather at times.

The end of the semester was approaching and the deadlines for the decisions and deposits were just a couple weeks away. Both Oswego's and Keuka's Accepted Students Days were on the same day, same exact time. I had visited both before, but I knew I had to visit just one more time to get a feel for the campuses. The catch was that I could only pick one since there wasn't enough time to visit both. That's where I texted my dad since I was clueless, and he was coming along with me for the visit. And his response made me think twice about my decision, and I knew right then that I was going to go to Keuka to finish my degree.

Little did I know that this was the best decision that I would have made for myself. Also, little does my dad know, but his response to my question of where to go for the visit was going to determine my path because I am so incredibly indecisive. Keuka was the best school for me, and I wouldn’t have chosen differently if I had to do it over again. I never could’ve imagined the impact that Keuka was going to leave.

Thank you Keuka College for everything. Thank you for giving me the best year of my life and for so much more. Soon it is all coming to an end in December for me, and I have no idea what’s in store for me next. Only one month left here… Regardless of what happens, Keuka has prepared me for a successful and positive future.

Thank you Keuka for giving me confidence. Before coming to Keuka, if you told me that I was going to stand up, present, and teach a whole hour and half class almost once a week for all of my classes, then I wouldn’t have picked to go here. I was shy, and always so uncertain of myself. However, with the experiential learning and hands-on classes, I’ve been able to see that I am capable of so much more than I would have ever imagined.

Thank you Keuka for all of the wonderful professors, faculty, and coaches. Each one of you have left tremendous impacts on my life. Because of such a small student body, I was able to create close relationships with my professors which was very helpful. If I ever had a question or needed advice, any of my professors were always willing to talk, day or night. Having a close and personal relationship definitely helps in times of stress or confusion. These professors helped to give me so much confidence and see what I was capable of, and push me towards graduate school. Whether I did a wonderful job writing a paper, or if I bombed a test, these professors held me accountable because they knew the true quality of my work. I was pushed to my limit at times, but it only made me stronger. If I chose any other college, I probably would barely even know any of the professors’ names or office hours. Also, I was able to play on two sports teams, cross country and softball, and these coaches were a huge support system too that I’ll forever be grateful for.

Thank you Keuka for all of the unforgettable people that I was able to meet. Walking around campus, I could tell you about 75% of the students’ names, and could recognize about 95% of the rest that I see on a daily basis. This gives me a sense of comfort, a sense of home. It’s pretty cool because you always have the same people in all of your classes that you become close within a short amount of time. Along the way, I was able to make some friendships that will last a lifetime from sports and classes. I met some of the most charismatic, hilarious, challenging, strong, giving, loving, and friendly people on this campus that inspire me every day to be the best person that I know I can be. There’s always someone there to pick you up when you’re feeling a little down, or a little homesick. Meeting these kinds of people gives you a whole new perspective on life and who you should surround yourself with.

Thank you Keuka for all of the sunrises, the lake, beautiful scenery, wineries, and parks in the area. Sunrises on the lake are indescribable. I love getting up early to run, and running next to these breathtaking sunsets definitely makes your day better. It gives you this sense of optimism and peace when you need it the most. It’s sort of like my own type of meditation, it calms me down before an eventful day. Everywhere you turn there’s a vineyard and a gorgeous view of the lake. Definitely should’ve spent some more of my free time paddle boarding or kayaking instead of stressing about studying though…

I can’t thank you enough Keuka, and this was just a short list of what I could really say. While some people may not agree with me in saying Keuka was the best choice to make for undergraduate studies, but I believe perspective is everything. Make your current situation to be the best it can be.

Over the past extremely short year, I’ve grown and matured immensely because of Keuka. I don’t think I would’ve done this if I had gone anywhere else. Keuka College has given me the confidence, friendships, happiness, optimism, and education to prepare me for my future. Simply put, I’m incredibly thankful for this opportunity to learn and grow here, and I’m not ready for this chapter in my life to end just yet. And I am forever thankful for that text message that my dad sent to me that lead me down this path.