Ten Ways Ten Days Can (And Will) Change Your Life | The Odyssey Online

Ten Ways Ten Days Can (And Will) Change Your Life

10 Reasons why Birthright was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

32
Greg Sokoler

For those of you who don’t know, Jewish young adults aged 18-26 from around the world is offered an incredible opportunity to visit the incredible country of Israel. This opportunity is appropriately named “Birthright”. Birthright is a free ten-day trip to Israel that’s almost entirely paid for by sponsors. There’s a $250 deposit that you get back within two – three weeks of returning from your trip, and besides that, the only thing you have to pay for is one meal a day (usually lunch), snacks, and souvenirs. There are many different trip organizers, and the trip I went on was from Israel Free Spirit, which is run by OU, or the Orthodox Union. Not Orthodox? Have no fear, neither am I! And neither was my entire bus! There are trips for Orthodox Jews, trips for non-religious Jews, trips for Jews with disabilities, niche trips (including yoga and arts & entertainment - that was my trip!), local trips, trips through schools, trips with more outdoors things than others, LGBTQ trips, single gender trips, among many others. Basically, there’s a trip for everyone. You’re thrown into this adventure immediately, and many participants have gone (myself included) not knowing anybody. You’ll learn quickly that your bus will become your mishpacha, or your family. I went on my Birthright trip this past winter, and I miss my bus and Israel so freaking much. Here are ten ways ten days can (and will) change your life.

1. The sunrises (heart eyes)

There’s something about waking up at 5:30 am to ride camels and literally watching the sunrise while riding a freaking camel that makes it so much more amazing! Sunrises are gorgeous anywhere, but there’s something about Israel that makes them so much more special!

2. The sunsets (Sensing a theme here, right?)

Israel is freaking incredible, and the sunsets don’t disappoint.

3. With every single step you take, you’re experiencing history.

There’s so much freaking history in Israel. Everywhere you look, every step you take is part of your history. Fun fact, every four steps you take on ‘Jewish land’ is a mitzvah! Also, you’ll be walking on Jewish cobblestone and Jewish dirt! Isn’t that exciting?! Also you get to learn about the culture and history that your great great great great ancestors lived through and created for you.

4. The 40 (more or less) people on your bus (plus your medic / guard, tour guide, staff members, and bus driver) will immediately become a family to you.

My bus bonded instantly. We’re ‘dabeshet’ ever (dabeshet actually means camel hump FYI, but it sounds like something else and we (because our bus is super weird) unanimously voted that our bus name was ‘Dabeshet’) and I would not have wanted to go on this 10 day experience with any other bus. Our Israelis (I’ll get to them next) were beyond amazing, and we had inside jokes by the time we left Ben Gurion airport (Harrison’s luggage?)

Five. ISRAELIS

Each bus gets 5-8 Israelis (I’m pretty sure. I know we got 8) who are either soldiers or students. WE got 8 soldiers. The Israelis are only on your bus for five of the ten days, but by the time they have to leave, they’re a part of the mishpacha (family). You’ll share so many things with your Israelis and leaving them will honestly be the saddest part of the trip (besides saying goodbye at the airport on day 10). Our Israelis were added to our Facebook group instantly, and you learn so much from them. You’ll learn about what it’s like growing up in Israel, their favorite hobbies, what they want to do when they leave the army, etc.

6. The snacks. and the Food

Israeli snacks are amazing. With Kinder Buenos, Kinder hippos, kinder eggs, chocolate milk in a bag, green Doritos (you have to try them), Bemba, Bissly, and all the other snacks I didn’t mention. Not only do they have all these incredible snacks, but they have different flavors of American snacks, (green Doritos, grill flavored snacks (not even kidding, they have a grill flavor) I'm super picky, and I loved Israel food. Falafel, Pasta Basta, HOTEL BREAKFASTS!

7. You get to ride camels!

Honestly, everyone should experience camel riding (and sleeping in a Bedouin village because that was amazing). The scariest part is getting on and off the camel, but besides that, it’s super fun. It’s an experience, and I want to do it again.

8. Swimming in the Dead Sea!

One, the Dead Sea is evaporating quickly and you may never get the chance to swim in the lowest point on Earth. Also the Dead Sea mud is super good for your skin.

9. The Western Wall.

The Western Wall is one of those places everyone knows about. It’s spiritual, incredible, and an amazing piece of history for so many people. There’s something about it that’s so uplifting. I put five notes in the wall, and only one of them was for me. People of all religions, ethnicities, and backgrounds come to the wall every single day to pray for something or to simply feel the incredible energy around it.

10. Lifelong friendships

In just ten days, we bonded. I met someone exactly like me, who lives like right next to where I go to school. Our bus keeps bumping into each other and you cant get these types of bonds anywhere else.

Honorable mentions: Hebrew words (SABABA), the art and architecture (everywhere you look is something incredible, the hikes (I’m not a hike-y person, but I love hiking in Israel), and last but not least, the memories. After only ten days with 40 strangers, you will have enough memories, pictures, and stories to last a lifetime. You’ll bond with these people in ways you could have never imagined, and you won’t regret it. I returned from my trip less than twenty days ago, and I’m already looking into birthright alumni trips to go back to Israel. My bus is already planning reunions, and we literally talk all the time. Birthright was one of the best ten days of my entire life, and I once spent two weeks in Disney world. If you get the chance to go to Israel, do it. If you’re eligible for Birthright, do it. You won’t regret it.