10 Incredible Creatures Of Brunei's Rainforest

Read about ten of the most incredible and rare creatures that inhabit the Asian island of Brunei.

2254

Just off the Southeastern coast of Asia lies a small, often overlooked island known as Borneo. While Borneo only inhabits a population of 400,000, a small tiny kingdom in the corner, known as Brunei, is home to some of the most intriguing and rarest creatures that can only be found in that specific region. Brunei is covered by a dense and extremely lush rainforest that is home to these creatures. Some of the creatures are so precious that wildlife conservationists will not share detailed locations of their habitats with tourists, citizens or other scientists. As an animal science major, I geek out when I have the opportunity to read about animals or creatures that are so rare and extraordinary. For those that are able to witness these creatures in person, you are truly privileged. Here are ten of the most amazing creatures that inhabit Borneo's beautiful and luscious rainforest.

1. Pangolin

The Pangolin, also known as an anteater, has only eight total species. Four of the species are found in Africa and four can be found in Asia. This scaly anteater is one of the most poached animals in the world, causing a decrease in its population along with habitat loss. The Pangolin is often times mistaken for an armadillo because when frightened, it curls up into a scaly little ball. This anteater has been sold as an alternative to elephant tusks and rhino horns in traditional Chinese medicine due to its similar characteristics.

2. Praying Mantis

If you aren't a bug or insect person, you will be after learning about this amazing creature. Iconic for its two front legs to be positioned in a way that appears as if it is praying, the Praying Mantis is named after the Greek word "mantis," meaning fortune teller. This insect is different than many, as it is carnivorous. It preys on other insects and has been known to prey on reptiles and small mammals. Think your relationship is bad? I can guarantee you it might not be as bad as the Praying Mantis' after mating. Occasionally after mating, the female will willingly choose to eat her partner.

3. Borneo Horned Frog

This small amphibian is known for its intelligence and wit. The Borneo Horned Frog is capable of blending into the surrounding leaves in order for protection from predators. Another common name for this little guy is the Long-Nosed Frog, pointing out its obvious long nose that is used not only for protection but for catching prey from the undergrowth as well. Wildlife conservationists say that the Borneo Horned Frog is endemic, meaning that it is indigenous to the Brunei Rainforest.

4. Salt Water Crocodile

Found in the backwaters of the coast, tidal rivers, swamps and inland marshes, the Salt Water Crocodile is extremely rare and dangerous. This feisty crocodile has been known to jump out of the water and attack its prey, including humans. This type of crocodile can grow up to 7 meters long and is typically the longest and largest species of crocodile to exist.

5. Borneo Keeled Pit Viper

I am not much of a snake person, but I will admit that the Borneo Keeled Pit Viper is very pleasing to the eye. This snake is highly venomous and avoided by many other creatures (and humans). It primarily preys on rodents and birds and is known for its vibrant colors. This snake has the incredible ability to stay in one spot and one position for weeks at a time awaiting its perfect prey.

6. Proboscis Monkey

The Proboscis Monkey is known for being one of the most endangered creatures in the world. This monkey is native to and only found in Borneo, thriving in the swampy mangrove forests. The monkey can be found munching on fruits, leaves and, if lucky, a not-so-lucky caterpillar. The most commonly known and unique feature that separates the Proboscis Monkey from any other monkey is their large bulb-like nose. Many humans find their noses unattractive and somewhat disturbing, but they actually use their nose to impress females.

7. Hornbills

Due to the Brunei rainforests location, it is a common stop for all migratory birds and is home to some very incredible migratory bird species. There are eight Hornbill species that inhabit the island, and the one pictured above is the rhinoceros hornbill. Their numbers are decreasing, like many other species in Brunei, due to poaching and habitat loss. Unfortunately, the hornbills have gone extinct in a few local areas on the island already.

8. Flying Fox

Although the name suggests that this creature is a mammal, it is actually a type of bat species. With wings fully extended (up to 5.5 feet), its size can reach to the size of a dog or fox, hence the name. These bats are herbivores, however, so there is no need to fear them. These bats are vital to the forest, as they are forest pollinators and can travel very long distances in order to pollinate forest plants.

9. Slow Loris

The Slow Loris is a primate that is commonly known for its large, puppy-dog eyes that are absolutely adorable. But don't be fooled by its cuteness, this little fella will give you a nasty bite if you cause any danger or fear to him. The primate is a nocturnal primate that uses its long tongue to drink nectar from flowers. Having diverged from African Bushbabies 40 million years ago, these are some of the rarest primates on earth. Though they are endangered and scientists do not know much about them, Brunei has focused on conserving the existence of these fascinating creatures.

10. Clouded Leopard

For all of you cat lovers out there (including myself), this gorgeous feline is known as the Clouded Leopard. The Sunda Clouded Leopard is only found in Sumatra and Borneo, and their population is greatly decreasing, making it very difficult to spot them in Brunei. Their cloud-like patches on their coat of fur distinguish them from other cat species. Out of all feline species, they have the largest canine fangs relative to their body size. They are a separate genus to leopards and other big cats, regardless of their name. These cats are very camera-shy, and the only photographed Clouded Leopard resides at the Taipei Zoo in Taiwan.