Teleportation: How Hard Can It Be? | The Odyssey Online

Teleportation: How Hard Can It Be?

Will the internet become obsolete in our lifetime?

21
Teleportation: How Hard Can It Be?
en.wikipedia.org

So, recently scientists were able to successfully teleport information across two nodes that were a few miles apart. SpaceX just held a conference in which Elon Musk, the CEO of SpaceX, discussed their plans to begin colonization of Mars in this decade. Yeah, this stuff actually happened. We are possibly living in the coolest scientific era of all time.

So, speaking of teleportation, why is this so special? Haven't scientists already figured out that teleportation can work? Well yes, but this is different. First off, scientists were able to teleport over 100 kilometers of fiber which destroyed the previous record of 25 km. This in itself is an incredible feat, but those eggheads took it one step further. The American scientists were able to do it with optical lenses. Before this successful experiment, all quantum teleportation was done through free space. Now, however, with the use of optics, it means that quantum teleportation can be used in already existing internet infrastructure. This means that with time, we will eventually be able to replace our existing internet technology with quantum technology. What I'm trying to say is we will be able to obtain information at the speed of light, which is the fastest anything in the universe is allowed to travel, as well as ensure higher safety to information traveling through it.

So, this is absolutely incredible, it means that our internet will be the fastest it will ever be. It means that for future space colonies like Mars, there will not be a twenty minute delay of information back and forth. Being able to pass messages at the speed of light will ensure that the spread of information will be more reliable than ever before. So how did they achieve such an incredible feat, well science of course! There is a theory in the realm of quantum physics/ mechanics/ theory (yes, it's so wacky that it has three different names) called 'Quantum Entanglement.' This lovely theory suggests that, in the quantum world, particles can have an identical twin. If two particles are in the state of entanglement, this would mean that any action one particle does, the other will do with no delay, regardless of the distance between the two objects. The only limitation is in the speed in which light travels; so if the two particles were incredibly far apart, the delay would only be in the time it takes light to travel that distance.

In order to teleport the information through an entangled pair, the receiving particle must first be transported to the desired destination of the message. After that its as simple as copying the information onto the sending particle and then destroying it after it has completed it's message. In order to get an exact copy of a message to teleport in the quantum world, the original must be destroyed. The destruction of the original must occur because in order for the information to be completely copied, it requires the particle's destruction. So I'm sure those who have hung on and are still reading are wondering, can we teleport humans? Well, theoretically, yes, yes we can; practically, probably not.

What we first need to understand is that the quantum teleportation that is being successfully ran now is incredibly smaller and simpler than a human being. With the strength of our quantum computing technology today, we are able to copy a couple 'spins' into the computer for teleportation. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in the realm of science, and it took me an hour of research and a migraine to fully understand what a 'spin' is and the mathematics involved. So out of pure empathy, I will spare the reader the details. In essence, a spin or a qubit is the equivalent a 1 and 0 for the transistor, they work the same way. Each spin within the entangled photon would signify coding that modern technology uses today, only much smaller. The units that we are working with is smaller than the molecular level, so more information can be added to messages the farther quantum computing advances. However, we have not been able to teleport molecules yet, they are too large.

So for right now teleporting humans is out of the question. Quantum teleportation, as we know it right now, is more of a communication technology rather than a transportation technology. Someday that may change, after all, impossible is only an engineering problem.