Tallahassee's 2015 Live Music Guide

Tallahassee's 2015 Live Music Guide

An overview of some of the upcoming live performances right here in the Capital City. You won't want to miss these.

8
Tallahassee's 2015 Live Music Guide

Unless you’re new to Tallahassee, you probably have already realized that Tallahassee is a bit of a musical smorgasbord. Just last year, we saw performances by Skrillex, Fitz and the Tantrums, Zeds Dead, Tribal Seeds, Lil Boosie, and so many more. While it’s still early in the year, we already have some amazing shows to look forward to. These are some of the shows that you will not want to miss in 2015.

Who: Of Montreal

Where: The Moon

When: January 13th, 2015

Style: Psychedelic Pop Rock Of Montreal is a band out of Athens, Georgia with a unique style that has evolved over the course of their past few albums. The best way to describe them would be Beatles meets funky MGMT. They’re sure to put on an awesome show, and it’s free with your FSU ID!

Who: Borgore and Ookay 

Where: The Coliseum 

When:  January 17th

Style: Dubstep / Wobble Bass  

Borgore is coming back to Tallahassee with Ookay, and there’s no doubt that it’s gonna be a huge party. Borgore is notorious for putting on a wild show, and the fact that he’s paired with Ookay (an emerging leader in the trap scene) is nuts. This is one of those shows that people will be talking about weeks later.

Who: Afroman

Where: The Side Bar

When: January 17th

Style: Rap / Hip-Hop

Dubstep not your thing? Come out to the Side Bar instead and see the classic Afroman sing the songs you know and love. Okay … the only song you know and love.  

Who: Zach Deputy 

Where: Side Bar Theatre  

When: January 31st  

Style: Self-described "island-infused drum n' bass gospel ninja soul.”  

Zach is an instrumentalist from Savannah Georgia. He does one-manned live loops during his shows and incorporates many different musical instruments. Not only is his music great, but so are his shows. He’s known for his inconsistency, in that no show is ever the same. 

Who: Rebelution  

Where: The Moon  

When: February 3, 2015 

Style: Reggae / Reggae Rock  

Rebelution is a rock-reggae band based out of Santa Barbara, California. They just released a new album this year called Count Me In, which is slowly creeping towards the top of the reggae charts. Their music incorporates both powerful lyrics and catchy melodies.   

Who: Excision  

Where: The Coliseum  

When: Feb 19th  

Style: Dubstep  

One of the most prominent figures in the world of Dubstep, Excision has been playing at EDM festivals since 2007. His mixes are typically high energy which makes for a great show. 

Who: Kip Moore 

Where: The Moon  

When: February 20th  

Style: Country/ Singer-Songwriter  

Kip's debut album, Up all Night, was the best selling male album in 2012 and 2013, making him a rising star in the world of country music. Move over Luke Bryan, Kip’s vocals are out of this world … and so are his looks. 

Who: RL Grime  

Where: The Moon  

When: February 2015   

Style: Hip-Hop / Trap / Bass / Electronic   

Trap is a relatively new genre of EDM that relies heavily on rap and hip hop influences. RL Grime’s music incorporates catchy instrumental type beats with a heavy dose of bass and manipulated drops. His music is impossible not to dance to.  

What: Aura Music and Arts Fest 

Where: Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park  

When: March 6th-8th  

Maybe you want to escape for a few days? Aura Music and Arts Fest is the prefect place to do so. The lineup this year includes The Disco Biscuits, M.O.E, Papadosio, Bear Science Live Band, The Motet, and many more. The festival also features yoga and healing arts.   

Who: The Avett Brothers  

Where: Cascades Park  

When: April 10  

Style: Folk / Bluegrass / Indie Rock / Grassroots  

The Avett Brothers are a soulful duo of two brothers who continue to push the boundaries of conventional music genres. The San Francisco Chronicle describes them as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones.”  

Who: Wilco  

Where: Capital City Amphitheater  

When: April 26th  

Style: Alternative Rock / Indie Rock  

Wilco was formed in 1994 in Chicago, Illinois but really began to become popular after the release of their album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in 2004. They utilize similar musical stylings such as The Beatles but incorporate more indie undertones and soft melodic backgrounds. 

As mentioned earlier, it's still early in the year, so many artists have yet to make the announcement that they are coming here. Could Skrillex make another appearance? Or maybe even Lil Wayne? As rumors circulate, we know for certain that Tallahassee is already starting out with some major names. We can only hope that the rest of 2015 will be filled with the same level of talent. Long live the music junkies.