Summer 2016 Movie Watchlist | The Odyssey Online

Summer 2016 Movie Watchlist

15 Movies You Should Consider Watching This Summer

14
Summer 2016 Movie Watchlist
google

If you are wondering what to do this summer, you can start by making the nearest movie theatre a new home. You might even consider bringing a tent and a couple blanket to make your stay a comfortable one because this year, the movie industries are releasing a storm of sequels and new movies.

1. Captain America: Civil War

Civil War is already in Theatres seeing as it came out May 6. It features all the Avengers, including Ant-Man and Black Panther. Civil War has already garnered some of the best reviews in Marvel Studios history; having Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) against Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) certainly schooled all other movies on how to do a superhero grudge match right. Civil War definitely keeps you on your toes wondering what is going to happen next, so I would encourage you to watch.

2. The Angry Birds Movie

Coming out May 20, Angry Birds is bringing to life the popular online game to the big 3D screen animated film. Jason Sudeikis voices Red, an ostracized bird who is filled with rage that may come in handy once his tropical island is invaded by pigs. This one should definitely be on the list of those who are obsessed with the Angry Birds games.

3. Neighbors 2: Sorority Rising

Also coming out on May 20 and is the sequel of Neighbors starring Zac Efron. In the sequel, Seth Rogen and Rose Byrne must team with Efron's Teddy Sanders to battle a rowdy sorority led by Chloë Grace Moretz.

4. Alice Through the Looking Glass

Coming out on May 27, it has Johnny Depp as mad as a hatter. Mia Wasikowska's Alice is once again whisked away to the whimsical world of wonderland where she will have a showdown with the half-clockwork demigod Time, as played by Sacha Baron Cohen.

5. X-Men: Apocalypse

Coming out on May 27, Apocalypse has Professor Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) once again must save the world from a mutant with a decidedly anti-human agenda. That title villain is played by Oscar Isaac in some pretty silly-looking purple make-up, but perhaps he won't look so silly when he's wiping out the human race along with his Four Horsemen Angel, Psylocke, Storm and Magneto, the latter reprised by Michael Fassbender. Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique will go against her former boyfriend to lead a new group of young X-Men.

6. The Conjuring 2 (June 10)

Now the Warrens are back and in swinging '70s London to try to crack the case of the infamous Enfield Poltergeist. This is the sequel of The Conjuring and is for all of you lovers of horror and The Conjuring.

7. Now You See Me 2 (June 10)

The Four Horsemen with a few new members including Lizzy Caplan (The Interview), Jay and Harry Potter himself Daniel Radcliffe. The original returning cast includes Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Dave Franco, Mark Ruffalo, Morgan Freeman and Michael Caine.

8. Central Intelligence (June 17)

In Central Intelligence, Dwayne Johnson and Kevin Hart team up for this old school action comedy from director Rawson Marshall Thurber. The two play former high school buddies who reunite and wind up getting caught up in a case involving shootouts, explosions and leaping out of buildings. This is an action packed movies and is all for you lovers of action movies.

9. Finding Dory (June 17)

Pixar brings us another long-awaited sequel as Ellen DeGeneres' title fish sets out to find her family at a marine life institute. Albert Brooks' Marlin and his son Nemo also tag along for the adventure. For all of you who love Finding Nemo, get ready for this out of this world movie.

10. Independence Day: Resurgence (June 24)

This movies revolves around the aliens re-invading the earth after 20 years of reconstruction. This is a movie for all of you who like a good alien invasion and a good sci-fi movie.

11. The BFG (July 1)

After decades in development, director Steven Spielberg finally brings Roald Dahl's classic children's fable to magnificent life. Newcomer Rubie Barnhill plays Sophie, the precocious young girl who is whisked away to the giant world by the title Big Friendly Giant, as played by recent Oscar winner Mark Rylance in a motion-capture performance. This is a movie to watch if you love animated movies, definitely keeps you on your toes.

12. The Legend of Tarzan (July 1)

Alexander Skarsgård swings into the role of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic jungle hero in an original story which features a now-civilized Tarzan returning to his wild roots. This is a movie for all you Tarzan lovers, get to the theatre.

13. The Secret Life of Pets (July 8)

Illumination Entertainment brings us adorable animated movie about a faithful dog named Max (Louis C.K.) who has to deal with the repercussions of a new dog in the house named Duke (Eric Stonestreet). Along the way both of them cross paths with a rabbit named Snowball (Kevin Hart), who wants to exact revenge on happy pet owners. This is a movie for all you pet owners who want to know what is going on in the minds of their pets.

14. Ice Age: Collision Course (July 22)

This is the fifth installment in Fox's ever-popular Ice Age series and it finds Manny, Sid, Diego, and the rest of the herd on a new adventure after Scrat sets in motion a series of events that may change the face of the planet as they know it. Lovers of Ice Age, this is your movie.

15. Suicide Squad (Aug. 5)

The DC Extended Universe expands with this adaptation of one of the more obscure titles in their library. Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman) leads the ragtag team of criminals known as Task Force X - including Will Smith as Deadshot and Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn - on a mission against an unknown threat. David Ayer directs, with Ben Affleck reprising his role as Batman and Jared Leto as The Joker. Fans of the DC comics, this is your movie.

Get ready for a fantastic summer with new movies.