Successful Networking

Successful Networking

Networking 5:01. Dress for Success, Work The Room, Follow Up, and Remember, It is 5:01 Somewhere.

24
Successful Networking

Today as I sat in my capstone class for my major, Professionalism in Exercise Science, I was dreading what we had planned for the day. Not only are tests and assignments piling up, but the thought of sitting in class for three hours seemed merely dreadful.

As I walked into the classroom, I noticed an unfamiliar face at the front of the room. A spunky lady, with a fierce outfit choice. I took my seat as my professor was writing her name on the board introducing her. As class began, we were introduced to Janis Clark, the Director of Business Engagement at Western Michigan University.

Now when she was introducing herself and claimed to be in class today to preach on a seminar about networking, I slowly remembered why I had dreaded coming to class. I felt like I had already known so much about networking, but I would soon learn that I was wrong.

Janis had a personality like no other. She was very outgoing, and constantly strived for feedback from my classmates and I as she was presenting on networking. Not only was she knowledgeable about this topic, but she initiated my classmates and I enough so to make the lecture more interesting.

Although I learned many things throughout Janis’s presentation, here were a few of the major takeaways.

1. Focus on skill sets, and how they work with other peoples needs and wants.

Focus on your own skills, and how they have the opportunity to combine with what other people need and want. Ask not what someone can do for you, but what you can do for them. Provide others with opportunities, and in turn, someone else may provide you with your own.

2. Contacts are everywhere, it’s just up to you to make them.

You could be walking down the street, riding in an elevator, or sitting on a park bench next to someone who could possibly serve as a great contact for you personally. It’s all up to you to initiate the conversation, and find those people who would serve as good contacts for you. This is where all the soft skills and networking come into play.

3. Know your strengths, and maximize them.

Make a list of the things that make you who you are, and traits that you feel are your strengths, and build you up as a professional. Continuously maximize those strengths in whatever environment you find yourself in.

4. Make your goals realistic.

Goal setting is one of the most important skills an individual can possess. Set long term goals, short term goals, individual goals, team goals, etc. Setting goals gives you an initiative to work towards something, and gives you something to constantly strive for. Once you achieve goals, set new ones.

5. Be the best that you can be.

Always be the best version of yourself, no matter the circumstances. Always dress to impress and remember that you only have the opportunity for one first impression. The minute you walk into a room, you have thirteen seconds before someone makes an opinion about you. Make sure their opinion is always a good one.

This presentation taught me more than just networking skills. It also taught me the soft skills I can take with myself in every day life, and to apply to different situations I find myself in. Janis introduced to me more than just skills regarding networking. She brought to me, the encouragement and confidence I need in order to make myself as successful as I want to be.