Summer Classes | The Odyssey Online

Studying Over The Summer: How To Keep Yourself Going

AKA get ready for some serious FOMO.

52
Studying
https://www.pexels.com/photo/young-woman-thinking-with-pen-while-working-studying-at-her-desk-6384/

Studying can be such a drag. It becomes even more of a drag when you have to do it over the summer. There you are, slumped in the corner of a library, trying to get through a chapter of your textbook while the hot sun blazes on, begging you to come outside. Sometimes, it even feels impossible to keep yourself going. If you're a college student planning on pursuing a higher education post-undergrad, it is likely that you'll find yourself studying over the summer.

Whether it be summer classes or various standardized entrance exams, there's always some sort of nagging exam that you'll need to get through. Staying focused can be hard, especially when there are tons of things you would rather be doing. Here are some tips to help you have a productive day of studying.

1. Utilize a planner

Using a planner is honestly so underrated. Think of it as a checklist of all the things you have to accomplish that day. It helps you stay organized and know exactly what you need to get done. You can even write out how long you want to spend on one topic. For example: "9:00 AM to 10:00 AM: Review chapter one, etc." This can help you stay on track and keep you from procrastinating. The best feeling at the end of the day is when you look back and see everything checked off on your list. It makes you feel productive and ready to take on the next day. Highly recommended.

2. Find your studying spot

I cannot emphasize how important it is to find a good studying spot and to stick with it. Once you start studying in one spot over time, your brain associates that spot with productivity and hence, you get your best studying done there. Libraries can seem a little depressing over the summer, so try a Starbucks or any coffee shop. A rule of thumb: NEVER study on your bed. I don't know about you, but whenever I try studying on my bed, I either fall asleep or watch 10 episodes of my favorite show. Once you find a spot that works for you, stick with it!

3. Make a playlist

Again, studying can really be a drag. Music really helps me stay alive and focused. Make a study playlist of some of your favorite songs to help keep you going. Classical music is known to be really good for studying, especially if you get tempted to sing along to lyrics. Here's some good quality classical music to keep you focused.

4. SNACKS

Who doesn't love to eat? Make studying more bearable by keeping snacks with you. I like to use food as a way to reward myself. For example, I tell myself that I can eat my delicious bag of Sour Patch Kids if I finish reading a certain number of chapters, or that I'll treat myself to a burger if I finish a certain number of things on my checklist. As a foodie and someone who finds themself hungry pretty often, this strategy seems to work for me.

5. Take breaks!

Don't be afraid to take breaks. Whether that means watching Netflix, getting lunch with a friend, or even just taking a nap, it is SO important to make sure you do something besides studying. Studying for hours and hours can burn you out, and even make your studying less effective. Make sure you relax in between in order to keep yourself from going insane.

6. STAY. OFF. YOUR. PHONE.

My phone is my biggest distractions when it comes to studying. Seriously. I find myself wasting so much time scrolling through social media. Why do we even care so much about what other people post? If anything, it gives me serious FOMO and makes me not want to study even more. It is honestly such a waste of precious time. The best way to avoid this is to put your phone away or even to just turn it off. You could be tempted to grab your phone, but just remind yourself that the more time you spend on it, the most time you'll have to spend studying to make up for it.

7. Stay motivated

Believe in yourself. You have a set goal in your mind, and you are able to achieve that goal. It can be hard to stay focused, especially during a time when everyone is at the beach or on vacation, but you are where you are for a reason. You have already gotten so far, so keep going! Have a positive mindset, and stay focused on your priorities. You got this!