Struggles On The Reservations

Struggles On The Reservations

The Native Americans living on reservations in the USA face the constant struggles of poverty with little help from the government.

1732
Struggles On The Reservations
Capital Journal

We speak of Native Americans almost always in past tense. We all grew up as children in school learning about the first people who lived on this land. We think of brave hunters and warriors draped in animal skin and adorned in feathers. It’s a fantasy world many people imagine; a place that existed long ago full of wild men and women living off the land. What most people don’t realize, however, is that what once was a country full of strong, indigenous people, has become a land in which these tribes are oppressed and dwindling. With so many issues pressing this country, many overlook a problem that has existed since the first ship docked on American soil. Native American people are struggling, and its time they are given the attention they deserve.

The saying, “The past will come back to haunt you” could not be more relevant to the plight that the indigenous people of America face on a daily basis. Most people have learned about how they were stripped of their land, forced to live on reservations, and many times murdered by the settlers years ago. People are not always aware that these reservations still exist today, and that over 2.5 million Native Americans still live on them across the country. Conditions on the reservations are not the lively, bustling cultural hubs people would expect. According to the U.S, Census Bureau, 27% of Native Americans live in poverty. That is a staggering number, and far too high for a population living within the USA. Jobs are hard to find on reservations, which makes it impossible for the poverty rate to decline. The unemployment rate nationwide for Native Americans is 11%. (Bureau of the Census for the Bureau of Labor Statistics) The unemployment rate on specific reservations is significantly higher. The US Census found that in the Pine Ridge reservation in South Dakota the unemployment rate reaches a mouth-dropping 80-90%. The poverty and unemployment stems from the lack of opportunity on reservations. Since the land is still owned by the government, the people living on them have a difficult time starting businesses. Also, most reservations are far from cities and large towns, so commuting to a job is near impossible. With no way for people to find work, many generations remain impoverished.

Housing is another issue. The U.S. Commission on Civil Rights reported in 2003 that 40% of on-reservation housing is considered inadequate. The problem has improved little over the past 13 years. Indian Country Today confirmed that there are 90,000 homeless Indian families, 30 percent of Indian housing is overcrowded, and less than 50% of it is connected to a public sewer. Also, it is not uncommon for Native American families to lack basic utilities such as running water, electricity, and heating and cooling systems. The reason for this is due to the state of poverty these families undergo.

Native American children and young adults also face the problem of lack of education. An overwhelming 20 percent of Native American adults have not graduated high school. (www.litverse.com) This is a result of the poor quality schooling systems implemented within the reservations. lifeonthereservation.com published an article revealing that reservation schools have the highest rate of teacher turnovers in the country. They also have trouble keeping staff members and finding school supplies. The lack of funding and attention to reservation schools by the government has resulted in children only receiving a secondary education. All of this circles back to the state of poverty and homelessness on the reservations.

The United States is at a crucial point. We, as a nation, are steadily losing touch of our American Indian heritage. The languages of the tribes are rapidly dying, the government continues to take land from those on the reservations, and traditions and cultural practices are being done less and less. The point is that more needs to be done to save such a rich and beautiful culture. How many of us have traces of Native American ancestry in our blood? How many of us remain in awe of the triumphs of great American Indian leaders? Where would our country be today without people like Squanto, Pocahontas, and Sacajawea? We owe so much of our nation’s success to the help of brave Indians who received nothing in return. Restoration of the American reservations and Indian culture is in the best interest of all of us. Our government needs to address the problems and correct them before it is too late.