We Usually Fight The Wrong Enemy In Your Relationship

"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy." John 10:10

387

Your relationship with God is vital to your Christian walk, but your dating life, the health of your marriage, and your family relationships also reflect on your walk with the Lord.

Many couples tend to believe that their husbands and wives are the enemies against whom they should be fighting. However, this idea is wrong because your spouse is the partner beside God who can help you fight this battle. Now, if your spouse is not the enemy, who is it? Your enemies are known as your ego, your spirit, your selfishness, your tendency to not admit when you are wrong.

Ego is the Latin word for “I” and “self. It is the way someone is thinking, willing, feeling, and distinguishing himself or herself from others due to egotism which is self-importance. I am not saying that you should not treat yourself as necessary as you are, but I am referring to treating your partner as he or she is only at your toes’ level. When you accept to enter a relationship with someone, you are taking

However, do not make someone think he or she is more important than you are. Equality is all you need in a relationship. As it says in the Bible, Do nothing from rivalry or conceit but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests but also to the interests of others. (Philippians 2:3-4)

Sometimes we make such a little issue turn into a big deal because of our ego. We believe if we say sorry to our partner we will not have the same importance as we do. That’s right! You will not do because you will become someone bigger in his or her eyes. She or he will realize how strong you are to apologize which is something that takes a lot of strength and self-conscience. A man leaves his parents to marry his wife and become one flesh.

How can you feel okay hurting your partner with whom you are a whole? You need to realize how important your partner is in your life to know how much you should be praying for him or her instead of envying him or her. “For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places” (Ephesians 6:12).

Furthermore, couples also have issues due to gossip and others’ point of views. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate” (Mark 10:9).

You need to know that your enemy is not your husband or wife. It is not your child either, but all the wicked spirit that you let into your relationship with your loved ones. When you feel like the argument is getting in the relationship be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace (Ephesians 4:2-3) because the enemy is only here to destroy, in one moment, what has taken years to build.

My advice to you my dear friend is to keep God as the root of your relationship and everything will fall into place. Never stop praying to God. May prayer be the guide that you follow to keep your relationship healthy. “But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you” (Matthew 6:6).