Why I Won't Stop Crossing Oceans

Why I Won't Stop Crossing Oceans

I am going to love people and cross oceans.

11760
Why I Won't Stop Crossing Oceans
Truthfollower.com
"There comes a time when you have to stop crossing oceans for people who won't even jump a puddle for you."

This is a fairly well known quote, a quote that, for the past year or so, I tried to believe in and abide by. After some rough heartbreak here and there, I found this quote online, and, feeling unwanted and taken for granted, I agreed with this quote.

I can remember talking to one of my best friends after our first relationships ended, conveniently at the same time, and I sent her this quote. I remember thinking it was so accurate and I needed to change my perspective to fit this quote.

I was asking myself to lessen the love I have for people, to stop loving the ones I loved so dearly, and to stop giving 100 percent in all of my relationships and friendships. I was asking myself to care less about others because I hadn't been cared about properly.

I liked the concept of the quote, because, ideally, it would steer me clear of heartbreak and hurt feelings. I found myself saying the quote and telling others about it, but I never was able to fully abide by it. I would always find someone who was an exception. I am an incredibly caring and dedicated person, I love the people in my life and I love my friends. Often I feel like, in relationships and friendships, I am the one who cares the most and for a long time I thought that was a bad thing.

I am a firm believer in the golden rule — do unto others as you would have them do unto you. I am a firm believer in loving like God does. I am a firm believer in showering the people I care about with love and affection, so this quote that I once found relatable and that I wanted to fit my life was a little difficult to adopt. I have made the choice to stop trying to make this quote be relevant in my life and trying to relate to it. I am the type of person who crosses oceans for people; I would cross oceans for people I hardly know if I know it could help someone. I love going the extra mile for people, I love seeing that surprised smile you get when you do something out of the blue to make someone happy.

I found this quote after I had been broken up with for the first time and I was so angry and bitter and I wanted it to fit, but, looking back on that situation, I once loved the person who broke my heart and out of respect for the love I once had I continued to cross oceans when I didn't even realize it.

At times I may feel taken advantage of, and that my little ways of checking in with people aren't appreciated. But that is just how life is sometimes. If you are apart of my life, no matter how you stand, I believe you were put there for a reason and I want to love like God does, and he loves no matter the situation.

I will not try and tame the love and dedication I have for others simply because I don't feel appreciated. I am going to love wildly and love passionately because that is how I was raised. I have a big heart and, once you are in my heart, you will always be there; I am not going to try and force myself to stop loving and caring about these people. Life is not about what I gain from others, it is about what I give. I am going to love people and cross oceans. I am going to do this with no strings attached, without the constant question going through my head, "Are they worthy of what I’m going to do?" or "Would they do this for me?"

I am going to cross oceans for those who won't jump puddles for me, not in hope that one day they will cross an ocean for me, but because every person deserves to have someone who will cross oceans for them.