Stop Being Afraid! | The Odyssey Online

Stop Being Afraid!

Why our culture of fear is hindering society.

98
Stop Being Afraid!
Google

Americans today are scared. We are scared for the future of our country. We are scared for our children who walk on the street and get shot. We are scared that our educational system needs radical improvements. We are scared that our economy is going to go into decline. We are scared that our icebergs are melting and oil will run out. We are scared. I am scared.

In part, these fears make sense. The success of our country depends on electing responsible leaders. The success of our country depends on our children’s ability to thrive, and in order to thrive they have to be safe and alive. The success of our country depends on the fine line between affordable taxes and improving our infrastructure. The success of our country depends on our world’s existence and ability to function. We have good reasons to be scared.

This fear is not unfounded, nor is it impractical. A certain amount of fear is needed to keep people participating in and improving society. The problem with fear, however, is when it hinders people from making choices that would be beneficial. When we act of out fear, we are forgetting the very basis of our nation.

Remember the American Revolution? That war between Britain and the colonies that allowed us to forge our own path? The foundation of our country was not founded in fear but rather in hope and trust. Why have we forgotten our humble beginnings? Why have we abandoned this hope and trust for a foundation of fear, mongering and disbelief? Why do we focus on the negatives of one political candidate without looking at the positives of the other? Why do we worry about the unknown when worrying causes nothing to change?

Matthew 6 reminds us of how much God loves us; rather than worrying about our food, fashion and future, we need to consider the work of God in our lives! God will not abandon our country, no matter which presidential candidate is elected. God will not leave because our lawmakers write policies that attempt to keep Him out of public life. God will not jump ship regardless of whether or not we live up to His expectations. (Spoiler Alert: We never will.)

The problem in America is not that we are unable to figure everything out; the problem in America is that we are basing our decisions on fear of the known and unknown. Relinquishing this fear does not mean giving absolute trust to a candidate. Eliminating this fear does not mean we say, “Hey, God will take care of me,” and stop working and educating ourselves. Ceasing to live in fear does not mean blindly following those who lead us. The discontinuation of fear in our lives means to stop making choices based on the possibility of negative outcomes. Rather, look toward the potential of good in each and every situation. Live and thrive in community with others. Voice your opinions even if they might not be popular. Commit to living a life of joy, hope and trust, and look to God, for He is the only impeccable solution to our problems.