How To Stop Your Baby Fever

How To Stop Your Baby Fever

Tempers, screaming and diapers, oh my!

1741
How To Stop Your Baby Fever
Atgancarz Photography

Sometimes in a young woman's life, we have this weird, obsessive desire to have a baby all of a sudden. Sometimes it's caused by the recent birth of a baby in your family, and other times it's from watching way too many cute YouTube videos of children dancing. The causes are many, but the cures are not so easily found. Ladies, if you feel like you've got baby fever and you don't know how to control it, this advice is for you. Here are some things to think about to turn that fever off!

Babies are really, really loud.

Photo via Tumblr

Sometimes you just need some time to yourself, to listen to music and just be with you. Well, not with a baby! Because babies are so dependent on their caretakers, you really do have to respond to your child if they cry for you. It's not their fault that they're annoying. Babies use crying as a way to communicate since they're unable to form the words yet. Really, they cry because they're frustrated and need help, or want to express something that they can't do in any other way yet. Regardless, it's still ear-piercingly annoying as can be, and you can't really ignore it.

Babies make a mess out of everything, regardless of how expensive it is.

Photo via Ytimg

New designer dress? It's been peed on.

Laid out your uniform for work? There's baby food on it now.

Trying to cuddle your cute little newborn? They just threw up on you.

Babies are messy, and you have to be comfortable enough to clean up their mess when you have one. You can't get mad at them for making the mess either, because their motor functions are not at a place where they can just say, "Oops, let me clean that up." You'll have to be prepared to deal with all the bodily fluids that come out of a baby if you choose to have one.

Everything in your house will have to become baby-proof.

Photo via Plastique Monkey

Living a fancy, decorated life and raising a child are very different things. Most moms can tell you that after having kids, the state of their house changed drastically. Child locks, plastic cups, and baby gates galore. Don't even think about leaving a cord out, because that will end up in the baby's mouth by the end of the night. If you want that little bundle of joy, be ready to trade in the life of fine dining for formula and apple sauce.

Your free time just got a lot less free thanks to that "bundle of joy."

Photo via Kid Spot

You're about to get really good at playing kids' games if you choose to have a child. Babies and young children can get bored, and as their caretaker for life, you're in charge of keeping them happy so they don't scream. Not to mention, being a mother takes a lot of time. You have to feed, clothe, put to bed, and entertain a whole other human being for years. There's not always time to read the book you just bought, to check out that new album from your favorite artist, or to even get lunch with friends. Your social life won't totally be gone unless you let it, but it's a lot of work to balance with a whole other person to take into consideration.

Being a parent is a lot of responsibility...

Photo via Tumblr

When you have a baby, you're creating a new life. This life has feelings, a future, and needs, all of which you are in charge of for the first several years of its life. And yes, it is possible to fail. Are you prepared for that? Are you ready to raise a life? More importantly, can you look at the society you currently live in and confidently say, "Yes, I want my child to experience these things?"

Babies aren't pets. They're not there to look cute, to show off, or to have because you feel obligated to. They're human beings, just like you, who rely on you to provide them with a good future. Sometimes baby fever just takes over, and it's hard to stop. It's natural even. However, there are definitely ways to make it subside, like adopting a pet.

Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats. Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).

So save a life this year, and adopt a dog or a cat instead of having a baby. They'll be just as cute and a lot less responsibility.