Steaks Unlimited: The Jersey Shore's Favorite Late Night Snack | The Odyssey Online

Steaks Unlimited: The Jersey Shore's Favorite Late Night Snack

Cheeseballs

515
@tg_tara on Instagram

Co-written by Rachel Bucchino of the University of Maryland '20

Seaside Heights, New Jersey. A line wrapped around the bright yellow building, only a few short steps away from the Seaside boardwalk, there are lines full of smiling young folks and growling stomachs. All for these infamous cheeseballs.

Steaks Unlimited has served as a Seaside Heights landmark since 2001, being a haven for late night hunger and fried-food fixation. Arlene Sheppard, 53, sits behind the counter every day, working to put out hundreds of cheesesteak sandwiches for the Jersey Shore’s summer boardwalk crowd.

Sheppard, whose brother owns the cheesesteak joint, expresses her undying love for the cheeseballs, one of Steaks Unlimited’s most popular items. “I’m always constantly picking on the cheeseballs,” she said.

Once the sun begins to creep from underneath the clouds and the spring air becomes summer breeze, Steaks Unlimited is the place to be. “We have had lines down the block before we even open, just waiting for us to open up those doors. It is just crazy,” stated Sheppard.

Being purely yellow balls of American cheese deep fried in breadcrumbs, the cheeseballs have upheld a powerful reputation amongst the fried-food culture of the Jersey Shore’s boardwalk establishments, having been featured on “Chelsea Lately” and MTV’s “The Jersey Shore.” said Julia Giacobbe, freshman at Rutgers University. “I do not really like boardwalk food, but the cheeseballs are out of this world. I love cheeseballs. They are great for eating, great for throwing.”

Peter Candia is an enrolled culinary student at The Culinary Institute of America for this coming fall. Candia reflected on everything- from the food to the service to the smell the shack on Ocean Terrace radiates. According to Candia, the warm, fluffy pizza bread, tasty shredded steak, sizzling onions and peppers, and the deeply fried cheeseballs are “a seven and a half out of 10. As far as a cheesesteak could go, I would say that it is the best cheesesteak you can get in Jersey,” said Candia.

Although it remains open year-round, Steaks Unlimited receives most of its business during the summer, when the weather is hot and thousands of tourists visit the shore. Separating from their partners across the street at The Original Steaks, a similar late-night cheesesteak restaurant, five years ago, Steaks Unlimited has sustained strong prestige amongst boardwalk cuisine, although it is located nearby on Ocean Terrace rather than on the boardwalk itself.

During the summer, Steaks Unlimited holds the hours of 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 a.m., standing as the epitome of a late-night dive in one of the Jersey Shore’s most famous beach towns. Sheppard explains the increased holiday business, where late customers define the atmosphere. “St. Patty’s Day is so crazy. Everybody is having a good time and being crazy -- all partied out and having fun,” she said.

During the month of May, business substantially increases with frequent visitations from the high school population. “Everybody comes for prom weekend,” Sheppard added.

“Memorial Day, we’ve had lines down the block before we even opened,” Sheppard continued. It could be four in the morning or four in the afternoon at the restaurant, and Sheppard will be on her feet, serving steaming steaks to hungry beach goers.

MTV’s 2009 reality show, “The Jersey Shore,” featured Steaks Unlimited, showcasing the late-night snacks of the crew of NJ/NY natives after their televised outings. “They used to come here every Saturday night and sit in the back,” said Sheppard.

“If you watch the show, you’ll see Paul back there,” she continued, pointing towards the back of the restaurant, showcasing a mural of a pirate beside a treasure chest full of painted, overflowing cheeseballs.

Steaks Unlimited has remained a Jersey Shore landmark for years past, as its iconic interior and exterior design, late-night atmosphere, and classic menu exist as one of many of Seaside Height’s unique features.

Therefore, in the midst of the Memorial Day chaos and 2 a.m. intense hunger pangs, these cheeseballs seem to be worth the wait.