Why "Star Wars" Fans Are The Worst | The Odyssey Online

My Issue With THOSE 'Star Wars' Fans

And you know exactly which ones I'm talking about

313
My Issue With THOSE 'Star Wars' Fans
Starwars.com

It's fun to be a fan of something–whether it's a band or TV show or movie, it's great to get super involved in something that you like a lot.

However, just as with anything else, you have to make sure that in loving something a lot, you're not doing anything to harm anyone. (At least, you're not going out of your way to hurt anyone in any capacity.)

This is where "Star Wars" fans struggle and why I have my qualms with parts of this fandom.

"Star Wars" fans have bullied many cast members off of social media and even out of careers. Beyond that, they've threatened to boycott films because of certain casting decisions.

What do I mean?

Well, most recently, Kelly Marie Tran–who plays Rose Tico in "Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi"–after facing months of online harassment regarding her character, appearance, and race, deleted her social media accounts.

And you know who else did that? Daisy Ridley, who plays Rey in the new trilogy. She was alienated and pushed out of the public eye by fans that insulted her character and appearance.

The internet was also unkind to late "Star Wars" veteran, Carrie Fisher. She was harassed about not being as attractive as she was during the filming of the original trilogy. However, as we all know, Carrie Fisher didn't give a damn about what people thought of her appearance. She dealt with the harassment by flipping off those harassing her.

Beyond the harassment that female stars have dealt with, John Boyega (who plays Finn) was the center of another controversy for some "Star Wars" fans who said they would boycott the release of "Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens" because of the casting choice of a black stormtrooper... Because stormtroopers can't be black. God forbid that there ever be any stormtroopers of color.

Cast members aside, fans have also expressed disdain with the new movies in general. There were even campaigns to remake "The Last Jedi".

"It ruined the trilogy," some people said. "And worst of all, it ruined the character of Luke Skywalker!"

Okay, but here's a question: Did seeing Anakin Skywalker cry about sand and the lies of the Jedi while creepily trying to hook up with Natalie Portman ruin Darth Vader for you?

Because as much as "Star Wars" fans today hate this new trilogy for not being the "'Star Wars' they remember," people were just as upset when the prequels came out. Everyone was saying that they ruined "Star Wars" with poor acting, casting, and writing as if George Lucas' choppy dialogue doesn't exist at all in the original trilogy.

And what did those "Star Wars" fans do? What they do best, of course.

Jack Lloyd–the little boy who plays Anikan Skywalker in "Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace"–retired from acting in 2001 at the age of 12. Lloyd said on many occasions that his decision to retire came from the bullying he suffered as a result of his role in "The Phantom Menace"–a role he played between the ages of nine and ten.

A bunch of adults made fun of a child for his performance, so much so that he quit something he enjoyed doing just so he wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

Imagine a group of people doing that to you as a child. Or, hell, imagine a group of people doing that to your child.

Along with Lloyd, Ahmed Best–the voice of Jar Jar Binks–revealed recently that he contemplated suicide as a result of the constant bashing he received from "Star Wars" fans everywhere, for simply portraying a character.

I know, I know. #NotAllStarWarsFans, but this is the kind of behavior that the "Star Wars" fandom is known for and will likely continue to be known for.

Yikes, huh?