Why Young Women Should Aspire to be Samantha Jones from 'Sex and the City'

Learn the traits that make a strong woman.

956
BuzzFeed

Most people when they hear “Sex and the City,” they think of Samantha Jones. I think all “Sex and the City” fans can agree that Samantha Jones was a very bold and unique character, but why would young women want to be like her? Apart from Samantha’s promiscuity, she is everything a hard working girl aims to be. Here's why:

1. Samantha was a Business Woman.

This is not unusual, but there are still people in our society that discourage women from starting their own business. Women hear things like “you’re a woman, you can’t possibly start your own business,” or “if you have your own business, you won’t have time to raise a family.” This is totally absurd. There are many women who can own a business while raising a family. I mean, women aren’t known for being multi-taskers for nothing. It’s also important that young women understand that just wanting to be a business woman and not a mother is perfectly okay. Samantha was a happy, successful owner of a public relations company and I never watched an episode where she wasn’t happy with what she was doing.

2. Samantha Jones was big on one thing...Independence.

She was never one to be in a relationship that tied her down. Some say women need to be married and have children to be happy, but Samantha lived for Samantha. Women should be empowered to think bigger and ask themselves how they want to be remembered. Women should be able to think “I want to be remembered as an accomplished business woman who was the best at what she did. No one could ever replace her.” Women need to live for themselves first, before they can live for others. In Samantha’s case, she knew what she wanted and wouldn't let anyone stand in her way.

3. Samantha is confident.

Fans of Samantha Jones will agree that she screamed confidence. Whether she was closing a business deal or hitting on a guy at the bar, Samantha always had a self-assured grace about her. Now, some may see it as being conceited, but it’s just believing in yourself. Most women have either dealt with confidence issues or are still dealing with them. There are confident women out there, but they most likely didn’t start out that way. The best piece of advice I have ever had was from my mom. I was 13-years-old and I told her that I didn’t feel confident enough to try out for the school play. My mom looked at me and said, "Honey, if you don’t have confidence, fake it til you do.” It's the best piece of advice to give a young woman because even if your confidence is fake, people don’t need to know that. Just pretending to be confident will help teach yourself how to respect and love who you are. Samantha knows how to love herself and we love her for it.

4. Samantha was loyal to her friends.

That is a very hard trait to come by. Friends back stab you, boyfriends cheat on you, and family members just walk out. It’s something everyone has dealt with, but it doesn’t mean you have to. The strongest people are the ones who stick by you, through thick and thin. Even when all they want to do is walk away, they stay because of their loyalty to that person. I say this was Samantha’s strongest trait because throughout the whole series, Samantha never turned her back on those who mattered most. Loyalty is the most admirable trait that anyone can have.

5. Samantha is a role model.

Young women need someone to look up to. More obvious choices could be Oprah Winfrey, Ellen DeGeneres or Angelina Jolie. For me, I’ve always looked up to Samantha. She was a hardworking, trustworthy, self-assured women that stood out from all of the other women on “Sex and the City.” I hope I can be half the woman that Samantha was, and just as fabulous.