10 Solid Gold Oldies That Are Still Timeless

I feel that it’s important to listen to the roots of some of the greatest music ever written.

1265
Tumblr

Being an old soul, you can’t help but pay attention to the music that predated you. My room is filled with records and books of music past, and most of the music on my phone was recorded before 2000. It always makes my grandparents and other baby boomers very happy to hear me listening to the music of their generation. This week I decided to dedicate my article to all of my friends out there who aren’t afraid to say that they love the solid gold oldies!

1. "Ain't That A Kick in the Head" - Dean Martin

This one's a classic tune that you’ll hear at any fancy Italian restaurant. Just like grandmas across the country, I can’t help but admire this Italian heartthrob.

2. "Beyond the Sea" - Bobby Darin

There are 500 versions of this song, but the Bobby Darin version is probably the one that we’re all familiar with, and it’s my personal favorite. That's not to mention that this little ditty is in "Finding Nemo," "Goodfellas" and all of my other favorite movies!

3. "(Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay" - Otis Redding

This song sends me to a different time and place, an island with no worries and the sea breeze blowing through my hair. This is a song that I will always stop and listen to when it comes on.

4. "Unchained Melody" - The Righteous Brothers

Excuse me while I go watch "Ghost" and cry when Patrick Swayze enters Whoopie Goldberg’s body to dance with his wife to this song. All movies aside, this song is so powerful and I may or may not dance to this one at my wedding.

5. "I Put A Spell On You" - Screamin’ Jay Hawkins

This is a raunchy tune that really describes the nitty gritty days of the 1950s. I always try and hit the vocal range of Screamin' Jay while I listen to this song, but I can't.

6. "Johnny B. Goode" - Chuck Berry

Most will say that Elvis is the king who made Rock’n’Roll what it is today. For me, it’s Chuck Berry. He influenced artists like the Beatles, the Rolling Stones and all of the other great British Invasion bands of the 1960’s with his classic riffs and unforgettable sound.

7. "Lucille" - Little Richard

I had a hard time picking which Little Richard song to include in this list, as he has so many great songs and such a strong voice that you don’t see in contemporary singers. Little Richard is another one of those artists who had a great influence on Rock’n’Roll.

8. "Peggy Sue" - Buddy Holly

"Peggy Sue" is a classic tune by an artist who inspired so many, even after his untimely death. He also made wearing hipster glasses the cool thing to do.

9. "Bring It On Home" - Sam Cooke

This song has always been one of my favorites, but I came to enjoy it even more when I lived in London and a woman would sing this song outside of the grocery store every Sunday night. Needless to say, she got a pound from me every Sunday evening.

10. "I Got a Woman" - Ray Charles

This is another artist that I actually had a hard time picking a favorite song for, but this was Charles’ first hit. I can’t help but appreciate the sound of this song many years later. My personal favorite generation of music actually takes place in the 1960s, during the time of the British Invasion, but I feel that it’s important to listen the roots of some of the greatest music ever written and these are my personal favorites.