First Impression Of East Halls At Penn State

Trust me, its not as bad as it seems.

387
Maryanne Mahoney

East Halls...

Home to so many thousands of Penn State freshmen over the years. With that, comes with tons of memories and experiences that have gone on within the walls of these buildings. It is very clear just from looking at them how many years they've been housing Penn States freshmen. This seems like the biggest deal in the world at first but I promise the minute that dorm room becomes yours it's so incredible to feel like you are apart of that history.

When I first I walked into my dorm room in East Halls, I immediately got hit with a wall of heat. I cracked the windows open and pushed back the ugliest gold curtains I had ever seen in my whole life in order to get some fresh air. I walked to the bathroom just down the hall to see what I'd be in for the next two semesters.

I walked over to the two shower stalls and remember thinking "ok, its fine I just won't shower until November."

As gross as that thought was, anyone who has lived in a non-renovated hall will for sure have thought the same. Don't worry, I shower, but it definitely took some getting used too. Just like living in a dorm room hours away from home took LOTS if getting used too.

We started unpacking my excessive amounts of things "I absolutely needed for college according to Pinterest," which took hours upon hours. Eventually, I stepped back and the room looked like it could maybe play the part of "home" for a while. You could barely tell the walls were cinderblock or that the cork board was still an ugly forest green color. I even had found a vintage picture of a frat boy in a Hawaiian shirt behind my mirror, that had been there for who knows how long and hung him up! My roommate named him Chad, and it's always the perfect conversation starter when someone new comes into my room!

Once I got past the yellow shower floors, the musty smell and the cinderblock walls, someone how it began to feel like home and I wouldn't have changed my experience in East Halls so far for anything.