Small Gesture, Huge Impact | The Odyssey Online

Small Gesture, Huge Impact

Five small things that can change the way you interact.

262
Small Gesture, Huge Impact
trainingmag.com

We often engage others in small, non-verbal cues that frequently go unnoticed. However, the atomity of these gestures does not take away from the deep, meaningful esteem that results from them.

Many of these gestures are commonly practiced by average individuals, and are so small that people cannot consciously recognize them as they are happening. They are less coherent than blessing someone after a sneeze, and often do not produce a "thank you," although their inherent meaning should.

Here are the top five small gestures that make a huge impact subconsciously.

1. The crosswalk arm grab

When crossing the street with a friend, you may indistinctly notice that they are getting close to the street, and cars are speeding past. You may grab their arm, preventing them from inching closer. This may seem insignificant, but shows your inherent care for your friend, and innate thought of safety.

2. The brake slam

If you happen to slam on the brakes while driving with a friend in the passenger seat, you may go to stop them from thrusting forward when you slam on your brakes. This action can happen in less than second, but nonetheless shows your car for the passenger in your car, after screeching to a halt.

3. Holding the door

Some may argue this as an act of chivalry, but I argue that it is plain and simple kindness. Holding a door for the person behind you shows that you do not want the door slamming on their face, regardless if it's your best friend, or a total stranger. Many say this you to be a common practice, but many people simply do not care enough to hold the door for others.

4. Acknowledging a delayed text

Often people are busy, or forget to reply to a text, but due to the lack of intimacy and personal nature of texting, it is impossible to determine whether or not you're being ignored or genuinely forgotten about. Letting someone know that you were busy, or genuinely forgot to respond to them shows an immense amount of respect for the receiver, and shows a great deal of character on the end of the sender.

5. Checking in:

When you're out late with a friend, the most meaningful, small gesture over text is to text them to see if they got home safely. Crazy, unpredictable incidents can and do occur, and showing the person you genuinely care about their safety is immeasurable.

All of these gestures require little to no time, but truly show people the measure of your character. It does not take much to make someone's day, or show them you care. It costs nothing to be nice, or show someone your love. Small actions like these can better and change relationships, so next time, maybe put a little more thought into anything you're doing, and the difference will show.