Small Campus Blessings | The Odyssey Online

Small Campus Blessings

LCSC is like my second family.

22
Small Campus Blessings
Lewis-Clark State College

I am in my third year of college at Lewis-Clark State College. It is located in Lewiston, Idaho (which happens to be the original capital of Idaho). The campus is small but beautiful in many ways. Since beginning kindergarten, I have attended eight schools ranging from a tiny school size to extremely large. There are positives and negatives to both. My favorite school size is definitely on the small side.

Lewis-Clark State College has just under 4,000 students and has students from 25 states and 34 countries! My major is Kinesiology: Physical Education & Health. This is such a fun major but also more challenging than it seems. However, the kinesiology division consists of less than 10 professors so each semester I usually have class with each one or sometimes even two classes with the same professor. It is awesome, especially since they are amazing people!

The professors at LCSC are some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. They love what they do and are so passionate about what they teach. I enjoy the relationship I have with them and that they are willing to help me succeed in every aspect. They care about my well-being outside of class and understand that I am not perfect. They respect their students and hold them to a high standard. I feel very loved by the professors and staff at this college which cannot be said about every college. At some colleges, you feel like just a number, but at this school, I feel like the professors have a strong desire to get to know me.

Another advantage of a small campus is parking! LCSC does not have an abundance of parking spaces, however, there is ALWAYS a spot to park. Also, the parking permits only cost $10 for the whole year! Boo-yah! I also enjoy that since it is a small campus, I am able to schedule classes with my friends and be able to get to know people in my division pretty easily since we are always together.

One of my favorite aspects of LCSC is the athletic program. We do not have a football team, but what we do have is baseball. Our school is kind of famous for it since we have 18 NAIA national championships under our belts. Our other sports are pretty amazing too. Most of the athletes are down to earth and very humble. They are also in every single one of my classes which is pretty cool. I was on the track team at LC last year, so it is pretty cool to make friendships with other collegiate athletes.

Lewis-Clark State College feels like a big family. Everyone cares about your well-being. The support system at this school is amazing. We've had a couple professors get very sick or get cancer and the amount of love and prayer for them is beautiful. One of my professors even covered a couple classes of a professor who had to take a leave in the middle of the semester. He invited my friend and I to come in and help with the class which was an awesome opportunity! All of the staff has each other's backs and I think that is a very special thing.

Small campuses are awesome! Sure, we might not have quite as many opportunities as big universities in terms of activities or event. But, LCSC does their best to provide those opportunities as much as possible.

I love this school, but who wouldn't when you get to be part of a big family!