Slate Milk Provides a Healthier Alternative to Chocolate Milk, But Lacks in Flavor | The Odyssey Online

Slate Milk Provides a Healthier Alternative to Chocolate Milk, But Lacks in Flavor

By: James McDonald | www.jamesmcphoto.com

55

Launched in November of 2019, Modern Milkmen Josh and Manny were on a quest to create a brand of chocolate milk that people could enjoy everyday guilt-free. They appeared in season eleven of ABC's Shark Tank unable to make a deal. However, the guys left a lasting mark on the future of chocolate milk, funding over $50,000 to officially launch the company via Kickstarter.

Coming in three flavors of classic, dark chocolate, and espresso, Slate Milk provides a healthier alternative to the classic beverage with a twist being lactose, gluten, and soy-free with 17g of protein, 120 calories, and 75% less sugar than its competitor brands in its 11oz cans. The espresso flavor contains 150mg of caffeine for a quick power boost to get you through the day. No refrigeration is required, allowing you to enjoy the beverage from anywhere.

Sourced from thirty family-owned dairy farms, Slate Milk is available in its three flavors and a variety pack with twelve cans in each for $35.99 and a subscription-based model every two, four, or six weeks for $29.99 per shipment.

I love the packing on Slate Milk, consisting of a simple, sleek design made from 100% aluminum cans and recycled material. The message "Shake it good. Crack it slow. Shamelessly chug. Cheers to being real" printed on the side of the bottle is a toast to a healthier lifestyle.

The main problem that I have with Slate is that it does not taste like chocolate milk. Chocolate milk is expected to have a rich, smooth flavor that stimulates happiness, but Slate tastes more like an artificially infused protein chocolate drink than a refreshing glass of chocolate milk. After taking a sip, it feels like there is barely any chocolate or milk included in the product. Since Slate has not been on the market for too long, I believe that if they could come up with a way for the milk to taste delicious with similar features, Slate could become a "legend-dairy" brand and company.

Slate will appease fitness enthusiasts and lactose-free fans. However, chocolate milk fanatics will be "utterly" disappointed. 5/10.