Six Underrated Places in Auburn Worth a Visit

The loveliest village on the Plains is even lovelier than you may realize. Check out these six cool places in Auburn.

326

I might be a bit biased, but I think Auburn is simply awesome. Overflowing with character, this little college town has a lot more to offer than meets the eye. Being a restless college student, I have somehow managed to avoid boredom for my third year in this town. Of course, Instagram is flooded with pictures of Chewacla, sporting events, and other typical Auburn adventures. But these trite activities and places are not the only options for an enjoyable time in Auburn. Check out some of the hidden treasures and underrated opportunities for entertainment and a pleasant experience.

Town Creek Park

While Chewacla is awesome and a cool outdoor adventure, I prefer Town Creek Park for a more practical or quick breath of fresh air. Located right off Gay Street, Town Creek is unbelievably convenient in location, plus it is free and easily accessible. Run on the nature trail, feed the fish and turtles from the dock, or exercise on the adult playground made of fun exercise equipment, open to the public. Take your dog on a walk, set up your Eno hammock and read a book, or simply enjoy watching the birds fly above as locals ride bikes, play on the playground, and stroll through the park. I love running, relaxing, and even studying at the quaint, yet picturesque Town Creek Park.

Quixotes

Sky Bar is always a bumping bar to have a blast at. Bourbon is a bumping bar for freshmen or the nostalgic upperclassmen; and 1716 is a chill atmosphere for socializing and shooting pool. Auburn may not be packed with nearby bars in every direction, like Athens, Geo., but it is home to bars with fun atmospheres to reveal your inner social butterfly. Quixotes is often underrated, amongst Auburn bars. Not only do they have cheap drink specials (even on Friday nights, but they also serve delicious food. The wings are out of this world. Whenever a big sporting event is on TV, head to Quixotes for drink specials, spirited fans, and a big screen to catch the game.

AMF Auburn Lanes

Head to Auburn’s bowling alley on Opelika Road for a strike-ingly good time! Being the size it is, Auburn is not jam-packed with amusement parks, arcades, or other big commercial entertainment joints you may see in big cities. That does not mean the bowling alley won’t provide an amusing experience for you and your friends. They are practically begging for a fun college crowd by offering games, shoes, and beer for only $2 on Tuesdays! Wednesdays are college night, which means even more deals! Hit the lanes with your friends and spice up your typical weekend activities.

Parkway Farmer’s Market

Eating healthy can be tough, especially on a college budget. Most produce is not super expensive at the regular grocery store, but it definitely adds up. The Parkway Farmer’s Market, on Opelika Road, is open throughout the year and offers fresh produce, which can save a lot of money. Not only does the farmer’s market sell fruits and vegetables, but there is also an eclectic selection of jams, sauces, and trail mix. Next time you’re cooking or simply trying to get your daily serving of fruits and vegetables, hop on over to Parkway Farmer’s Market. There is no need for this place to continue to be a secret.

The Hound

Bottomless mimosas, delicious brunch, and a cool atmosphere can all be enjoyed at the Hound. Acre, Amsterdam, and Hamilton’s are three other of Auburn’s delicious restaurants in the fancier category, but the Hound seems to be overlooked more often than those. This is definitely not due to a lack of quality. The menu boasts delectable food, drinks, and reasonable prices for quality food. Of course, your college budget will be hit a little harder than from your typical diet of Taco Bell and Chick-fil-a, but it is definitely worth the splurge. Saturday brunch is an especially pleasant meal, with cheap mimosas and a Redneck Benedict meal of bacon, biscuits, and gravy all mixed into an amazing breakfast ensemble.

The Red Barn on Donahue, Ag Heritage Park 

Adding aesthetic appeal right off campus, the infamous Red Barn on Donahue is a cool venue for events, and a neat sight to walk by or study near. This neat barn is often overlooked and forgotten about as being an event venue with character. The Greystone Mansion, Moore’s Mill Country Club, and the Webster House are all pretty places to host festivities, but of course this one is just simply underrated. Next time you are walking on campus, or in search for a study spot outdoors, go no further than the Red Barn, appreciating its pleasant atmosphere and beauty.