Six Amazing Things That Happened When I Started Practicing Yoga | The Odyssey Online

Six Amazing Things That Happened When I Started Practicing Yoga

...I carry infinite possibilities within myself.

27
Abigail Adams

Two years ago, I walked into a yoga studio for the first time with the intent of finding a form of exercise that was both enjoyable and showed results. Not only did I find those two things, but I found a hobby that helped to heal every element of my being. My body started to tone up and look better on the outside, but I also finally started to recognize and appreciate the light that was radiating from inside of me. Yoga changed my life, and along the way, six amazing things happened:

1. I was reminded of the importance of simplicity.

Unless you’re participating in some form of power yoga, yoga is typically practiced as a string of continual, slow movements. There is no rush getting into the next pose and no hurry to finish the practice. You are encouraged to take your time and to really enjoy what you are experiencing in your body and mind. At the end of the day, as all yoga instructors will tell you, yoga essentially comes down to your breath. Yoga teaches us that breath is life, and good breathing leads to better living. You could have a fantastic rest of your class, but it does not matter if you lose sight of your breath.

Both of these concepts carry over outside of the yoga studio. Pacing yourself fairly and taking time to “just breathe” will assure that whatever you’re trying to accomplish will not only end up being of higher quality but that your mental health will be in a much better state as well.

Okay, so… Taking your time + Practicing good breathing = Better life. Sounds simple enough to me. I’ll take it.

2. I started to be good to myself.

Similarly, along the same lines of taking things at your own pace, yoga has taught me to treat myself more kindly. The yoga instructor that leads most of the sessions that I attend at my college is amazing because she repeats this phrase constantly in her classes. “Be good to yourself!” Every single person is built differently and is equipped with different strengths. I can do a mean arm stand, but somebody else may not be able to do so. While another person may be able to tackle a crow pose, whenever I attempt that pose the only thing that I end up tackling is the floor. And guess what? That’s okay! One day I may get it, or maybe I won’t, but it isn’t worth beating myself up over. The point of yoga practice is to exercise my body and rejuvenate my mind. As long as that is happening, the rest should be used to measure my resilience and determination, not be seen as a weakness.

3. I accepted that my growth should not be measured by a rate of speed.

In like manner to my previous point, I have learned to stop measuring my personal and physical improvements by the time they take. I’m sure we all know that faster does not necessarily equal better. So what if I cannot bend a certain way yet? I have learned to appreciate taking the time to get to that point safely and correctly, rather than rushing into it and getting hurt or forming a bad habit. It is also perfectly acceptable to take your time when approaching what scares you. In yoga, definitely intimidating at times, instructors support their students when they want to ease into trying poses. It takes a lot to conquer fear, and yoga has inspired me to believe that I not only grow each time that I succeed in doing something new, but also every time that I have the courage to say, “I wasn’t able to get to that point this time, but I will strive to make it there next time. And if it still takes longer than that, then that’s alright too.”

4. I learned that my peace of mind is a priority.

When I leave my sessions, not only does my body feel great but my mind is also at ease. I cannot think of a time when I have left a yoga class and still been laden with anxiety from my day. This is because yoga is just as much about the mind as it is the body. We put such a big emphasis on breathing both because it helps ground the feet into the earth but also because it makes it easier to clear the head. Each practice is started with a few moments of silent meditation and deep breathing, with the aim being to set your intent for that session, whether that is to simply relax, to self-motivate, to heal, to strengthen your focus, or whatever else you may want to accomplish mentally or emotionally at that point in time. At the end of each class, there is usually about 10 minutes of savasana. Also known as the “corpse pose” or the “Final Relaxation pose”, savasana is performed by the yogi laying flat on his or her back with their arms to their sides and their palms facing the sky. The objective of this pose is to relax, explore your mind, work through your troubles, ponder different things that have caught your attention throughout the day, and ultimately to foster your mind and spirit. If you leave the studio with both your mind and body feeling better than when you entered, then you have experienced a very good session.

5. I became more connected to the people with whom I share this world.

Every yoga practice is concluded with the group saying, “Namaste,” to each other. According to Master Yoga Teacher, Aadil Palkhivala, on yogajournal.com, the word “Namaste” translates to “I bow to you”. He also states, “The gesture Namaste represents the belief that there is a Divine spark within each of us that is located in the heart chakra. The gesture is an acknowledgement of the soul in one by the soul in another.” Performed by placing the hands together over the heart, closing the eyes, and bowing to one another, Namaste has invoked in me an awareness of the undeniable connection that I share with every other human in this universe. It is inspiring and humbling, and I find it to be absolutely beautiful.

6. I realized that my body and my spirit are capable of so much more than I ever imagined.

I cannot count the number of times I have lain in savasana and thought, “I never would have imagined that I would be able to do ____________.” Whether it was accomplishing a difficult pose, holding a position longer than I anticipated I would be able to, or letting go of something that was plaguing my thoughts, yoga has proven to me that I carry infinite possibilities within myself.

I can fail. I can succeed.

I can fall. I can balance.

I can worry. I can let go.

I can fight. I can accept.

I can stand still. I can push forward.

Namaste.