Single and Not Alone | The Odyssey Online

Single and Not Alone

a guide for single and lonely Christians

36
Single and Not Alone
Carol, We Heart It

It's a new year and you're still single. Not having that special someone can feel boring, and lonely at times. Yet, there are so many opportunities of growth during this solo trek that of which many young people and especially young Christians are not aware. Unfortunately we live in a culture where people are quick to jump into relationships without first evaluating the serious commitment that comes with it. Often times a quick commitment based on emotion alone can cause a lot of heart ache for both parties when the relationship ends, leaving them confused and asking "why did you let this happen, God?"

The pressure to be in relationship is real and it's understandable that Christians can feel an urgency with the knowledge that God has said it is not good for man (and woman) to be alone. However, before you begin to pursue the love of another sinful and less than perfect human being, you must be pursuing the love of Christ first for Jesus said "seek first the Kingdom of God." You must belong to Christ before belonging to anyone else. In fact it is important you understand that you do not belong to anyone until marriage. Paul says in Romans 7:4 " Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another--to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God." Thus before you start going out of your way to fulfill another person's wishes, first fulfill the wishes of your Savior that you may bear the fruit of love for Christ.

Allow me to say for you, "embrace your singleness!" Your time of being single can and should be looked upon at as a gift. Because most people marry at some time in their lives you can have confidence it will one day be true for you. Until then you can use this time of being single to reflect on God's love, to practice patience for God's gifts and serve those around you who may also be feeling lonely. Paul says that being single is a good thing--"But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: It is good for them if they remain even as I am:" (1 Corinthians 7:8) So take the words of Paul to heart. Being single is a good thing and should be looked upon as such.

Because God is timeless our future is not limited by what we may or may not see in the months and years ahead. Because we seek Him first we are to have faith that what we need in terms of a spouse will be added unto us. We are to know that God, having made us in His image and redeemed our souls,has ordered our steps. Not knowing when it's gonna happen is the fun part! Instead of focusing what will happen in your future, work on preserving yourself for the day when you meet your spouse. 1 Corinthians 6:15 says "Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ?" In this way we should not follow the trends of the world. Do not settle for someone just because you long for a relationship. Instead, work on your relationship with Christ and the right man or woman will come along.

Most importantly I encourage you to seek God first and trust in his timing for you. You won't regret it. And in the words of the book of Proverbs 4:23 "Keep your heart with all diligence, For out of it spring the issues of life."