Why I Sing Christmas Songs All Year Long | The Odyssey Online

Why I Sing Christmas Songs All Year Long

The Best Way to Spread Christmas Cheer is Singing Loud for All to Hear.

19
Parallel Path Blog

There are two types of people that surround us everyday: Those who live and breath The Code of Elves and those who have a life goal to make sure Thanksgiving is not forgotten.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

Don't get me wrong, I love Thanksgiving and everything about it. The turkey, the football, the mashed potatoes, THE PIE, the family, and remembering all the things I am thankful for. It is an important holiday and should never be overlooked so for you Thanksgiving advocates out there, I want to tell you that I hear you and I am with you, but we need to talk about why Christmas is important. Not only why it's important around Christmas time, but why it is important all year long. Before you say anything or silently judge me, yes I am one of those people who will get in my car and blast the Pentatonix Christmas album (specifically Little Drummer Boy) in July. "But why?" "That's ridiculous it's not even Christmas yet." Again, I hear you but this time I am sorry to say I am not with you. Christmas is very special to me and it took me so long to realize that it was more than just getting gifts, spending time with my family, and hearing the Christmas story for the 1,000th time in a row. I think it finally hit me one day that Christmas is where it all started. I am a strong believer in Jesus Christ and yet such a significant holiday had no personal meaning to me until roughly 2 years ago. I could explain why but I think showing you will help you see my point of view.

"O holy night, the stars are brightly shining
It is the night of our dear Savior's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
Till he appeared and the soul felt its worth.
The thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees,
Oh, hear the angel voices
O night divine,
O night when Christ was born"

I know some of you just glanced over that because you "know the song" (I did that for 19 years so don't worry about it) but if that's you, go back and read it again. Read it however many times it takes until your you know what you're reading. When we look at "O Holy Night" I think it is a perfect portrayal of what happened on that miraculous and perfect night. The world was so broken and ready for someone to save them. When suddenly He appeared and our souls felt it's worth and people fell on their knees because they knew hope had been born.

Luke 2:8-14 "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests."

LIKE WHAT. Can you imagine being a shepherd at the time just hanging out in the field when all of a sudden an angel swoops down and says "hey listen don't freak out but the person who will save all of mankind has just been born down the street." I would've straight up lost all of my marbles. "THE SAVIOR HAS BEEN BORN DOWN THE STREET? GUYS WHY ARE WE STILL STANDING HERE LET'S GO! THE SHEEP WILL BE OKAY WE HAVE TO HURRY!" So whenever you think of things this way, don't you want to rejoice that Jesus was born? That God would send his one and only Son to save you?

So why not treat everyday like Christmas?