15 Unmistakable Signs You're A 'Military Brat' | The Odyssey Online

15 Unmistakable Signs You're A 'Military Brat'

Yeah, we're PCSing again.

1003
Sara Decker

've spent the past 18 years moving from place to place. Over the course of my education, I've gone to nine schools, and college will be longest time period I've spent at one school.

The military is a unique culture, and while at times I've hated it, the US Army has given me so many unique opportunities and has helped me develop into a stronger, more resilient person. As much as I love my civilian pals, there are some things only your military pals truly understand...

1. PCSing (aka moving)

I already mentioned this a little bit, but it deserves it's own note. I've gone to 9 schools and lived in 6 states. As a kid, it used to make me so mad when people would tell me "Oh, that's so cool! I wish I could move." Growing up, I wanted to live in the same spot for awhile. It's hard-- most military tours are three years. The first 18 months is about getting settled in and feeling out who "your people" are. You get to enjoy that for about 18 months, but as soon as school is over, your family is packed up and you'll likely never see some of your pals again. As an "adult," I can appreciate moving to a certain extent now. I got to see different regions of the United States, got to participate in all kinds of different sports/activities, became really good at making new friends, etc.

2. Being fluent in acronyms

PCS. ROTC. NCO. AAFES. PX. AIT. APFT. MRE. PX. DOD. DODEA.

If you don't know what 9 out of 11 of these means I question if you're truly an Army brat. (If you're a Navy or Air Force kid, I'll cut you a little slack with 7 out of 11.) In all seriousness though, acronyms is my second language.

3. Military ID

4. Being born in Germany

When my dad was commissioned in 1992, he was assigned to Germany. In the 1985-2000 era there were a lot of assignments for newly-commissioned officers in Germany. Long story short, I was born on my dad's second tour in Germany. I would say a solid 50% of Army families had at least one of their oldest children, if not two, born in Germany.

5. MACing it to Germany

My dad had this dream of returning to Germany after I graduated from high school. MAC stands for military aircraft carrier, and they are typicially used to transport soldiers who are being deployed. (The soldiers usually leave from an Air Force Base on the east coast, fly to Ramstein AFB, Germany, and then take another plane to their actual deployment.) There are typically some extra seats on these planes, which they allow military families to use to go on vacation. The flight is free, but they don't know if there will be extra seats until about 6 hours before, you have to actually show up to the airport for them to tell you, and you're on a cargo plane-- so at the very least, it's an experience. My family MAC'd it to Germany this summer, as have most of my friends at one point or another.

6. Free gym memberships

The idea of paying even $5/month for Planet Fitness is kind of stressful when you've been able to go to a state-of-the-art gym for free since you turned 13.

7. On-post activities

Discount horseback riding lessons, bowling, canoe and kayak rentals, movie theaters, gymnastics lessons. You've spent your fair share of birthday parties at the bowling alley and know that the Army bowling alley has potentially the best BBQ on the planet.

8. Joining the military

I'm a ROTC cadet, and I would say about 20% of my military friends actually ended up enlisting, doing ROTC, or going to12. a service academy, and I would say at least 40% seriously considered doning one of these 3 things.

9. "Where are you from?"

Internal dialogue with self: Hmm, depends on what you mean. My parents are from Iowa, but I was born in Germany. I spent most of my childhood in the midwest, but I spent my high school years on the East coast. Then again, I'm going to college in Chicago...

What Comes Out of My Mouth: Well, my dad's been in the military since before I was born...

10. "Real stores" and "real gas stations" seem overpriced

After years of shopping at the commissary (grocery store), PX (Target minus groceries), and the shopette (gas station), Walmart seems overpriced and you always make a point to make sure you fill up on post before you go on a long road trip. (I just ordered a Vineyard Vines shep shirt from the Navy Exchange for $60. #bejealous)

11. College isn't scary

One thing that became very obvious to me this spring was that I just couldn't relate to my classmates' worries about being away from home. Most of them aren't going farther than two hours away from home, but they all were still a little freaked out since the majority of them had never moved. I'm going to college 11 hours away and I'm not worried at all. It's just like another move, and I'll be able to stay at the same school and keep the same friends for FOUR WHOLE YEARS. This is craziness, y'all.

12. 1700

You probably have this memory: You're 10 or 11, riding down "Combat Drive" or "Lee Road" when suddenly the bugle calls hits. You quickly drop you RipStick and your pal kick the break on his Razor scooter to stand at attention.

13. "Your dad scares me."

I don't see it, but whatever.

14. Your parents REALLY emphasized respect

Lot of "sir" and "ma'am." Always telling you you need an attitude adjustment.

15. The occasional special treatment

I was the first non-presidential child to go on Air Force 2. We flew with Second Lady Jill Biden to NASA Headquarters in Houston, TX, where we toured the astronaut training center and mission control center before welcoming Astronaut Scott Kelly back to Earth. #militaryperks

At the end of the day, the Army lifestyle is rough. Not everyone is cut out for it, but for those of us who do manage to survive, we thrive. I've missed out on lots of "normal" things, which used to bug me a lot. One thing I've come to realize is that at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with the person who graduated from high school, and I wouldn't be that girl if it weren't for the Army. I'm proud of my dad and the sacrifices he's made, and I consider myself blessed to have grown up as an Army child.