Why Siesta Key Beach Is #1 | The Odyssey Online

Why Siesta Key Beach Is #1

Siesta Key Beach still reigns as one of the top beaches in the nation.

227
Why Siesta Key Beach Is #1

Sarasota is iconic for its white sand beaches and for being one of the best beaches on the Gulf of Mexico. Besides being known for its overabundance snowbirds and being a historically artsy town, Sarasota, Florida, is home to what I consider to be paradise.

While Siesta Key Beach – Sarasota's most popular beach – has been crowned the #1 beach countless times, this year the vacation destination took place at third while Clearwater Beach took first place. Having been born and raised a Florida girl, I have experienced almost every type of beach and can honestly say Siesta Key cannot be matched. There's something special about the snow white shores and crystal clear waters that make any other beach fail in comparison. While Siesta may not have won this year, here's a few reasons why this beach is number one.

The feature that makes Siesta Key Beach unique from any other beach is that the sand on these shores is 99% quartz. This gives the sand a powdery consistency, snow white appearance, and a coolness to the touch even on the hottest of days. Not only does quartz make the sand beautiful, this crystal has numerous properties that promotes healing energy. Unlike other Gulf beaches, the sand on this beach isn't composed of shell particles. Of all the beaches I have visited, this beach's is one of a kind.

Another plus about visiting Siesta for a beach day is that parking is free. No, this is not a guarantee that parking is readily available at all times, but compared the #1 Clearwater Beach, parking is easy to find and won't cost you a fortune. Siesta also offers numerous beach accesses that have free parking and more seclusion than the public beach offers. After visiting Clearwater to see why they won the crown, my first complaint was the expensive and nightmarish parking situation. It took 30 minutes just to find a spot that would have otherwise been free at Siesta.

Siesta Key is not only the home to this amazing beach but also a shopping and restaurant district that is affectionately referred to by locals as "The Village". The Village is known its nightlife and shopping, along with the endless array of ice cream parlors, breakfast and brunch cafes, and every other type of dining experience you may desire. Shopping for all your beach gear and vacation keepsakes can be fulfilled at The Village's beach shops that also offer higher-end apparel.

Every local has a favorite spot in their hometown and mine happens to be Point of Rocks on Siesta Key Beach. This dreamy destination is nestled in the Southern part of Siesta Key. Point of Rocks is a hidden gem, a place so beautiful that pictures can't do it justice. This area is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, and fishing among the rocks. For local and tourist alike, the best photos can be taken at this part of the Key and is a place everyone must visit while in Sarasota.

Siesta is also known for the various events that occur throughout every season, such as the Drum Circle that occurs every Sunday during sunset and consists of dancing and live music. It is a hot spot for collegiate and professional beach volleyball tournaments as well During the spring and summer seasons, the beach is packed with players and spectators. Along with being a popular beach volleyball site, The Crystal Classic is a sand sculpting competition that occurs annually on Siesta Key Beach and displays impressive sand sculptures constructed using the beach's luxurious sand.

Even though I have been raised on this beautiful beach, Siesta Key Beach is a unique piece of paradise that cannot be replicated by any other destination. While it may not have been placed in first this year, the beach will remain one of the number one beaches in the nation and Sarasota locals will forever vouch for it.