Shoutout To Therapy Pets

Shoutout To Therapy Pets

They're even better than people.

16
Shoutout To Therapy Pets
Sydney Layton

Pets. I feel like nowadays, almost everyone has one. In fact, I have two: a dog and a guinea pig. I'm super thankful for them everyday, but recently, I've been even more grateful for them. Without their love, I don't know where I would be.

I'm a firm believer that everyone should go to therapy. Let's admit it, we are all a little bit nuts deep down inside. However, sometimes you need more than just a friendly therapist to get through day-to-day life. Sometimes you need a therapy pet.

I know plenty of people who have pets they use for recreational therapy, and I know many hospitals use pets, such as dogs, as therapy for their patients. It's really awesome to see just how great these pets are loved by so many and see how it really impacts someone's day-to-day life.

Sometimes a human specialist just isn't enough – you have to have something at home that makes life worth living. I know that my dog and guinea pig depend on me, more than I depend on them. They need food, water, but most importantly love. And they give it back, too!

The only reason I said I would move at 9 years old was if I got a dog at our new house. Well, I got the dog, and nearly 11 years later, she's still helping me be happy everyday. She always knows when I'm down. She licks me until I smile and shows that I'm alright. She is the best giver of love I've ever had. She never stops showing me that she loves me, and I think that's remarkable. See, most humans can't even show that much love.

I got my guinea pig solely as a therapy pet. I remember sneaking her into the residence hall with my mom when I got out of the psychiatric hospital my sophomore year of college. Now going into my super senior year, she no longer has to be snuck in anywhere, as my apartment is pet friendly. She gives me love everyday, whether it's by physically licking my fingers or squeaking loudly as a sign of "Mom, pay attention to me!" I can honestly say she is my best friend and that she knows more about how to make me smile than most humans do.

So shoutout to the therapy pets. You are very loved, even when we don't show it so easily and even when we are in a bad mood. We love you, almost as much as you love us.