Sharing The Gospel Without Saying A Word | The Odyssey Online

Sharing The Gospel Without Saying A Word

Let the life you live tell of who He is.

220

About a week ago I was sitting at my desk at work, updating files in the computer and answering the phone calls as they came in. It was early and I was pretty tired and not really in a bad mood but definitely not in a good mood. I'm so not a morning person and no amount of coffee can help with that, unfortunately.

The calls that were coming in were typical, the callers knew what they needed and who they needed to speak to about it so I would just greet them, ask for that information, and then transfer their call. I would only be talking to each caller for maybe 2 minutes or less. Then, I got one call from an older woman who didn't know exactly what she needed or who she needed to speak to. So, I asked her for a brief description of the situation for which she was needing service. As she began explaining her story it became evident to me that my office was not going to be able to offer her the service she was looking for. I told her this politely and she acknowledged it, but then she just kept talking.

What should've been maybe a 5-minute max conversation quickly turned into fifteen or twenty plus minutes of her just talking to me about something I could do nothing to help her with. If we're being honest I was getting slightly annoyed, tapping my fingers on the desk as she rambled on, but I feel really bad when I interrupt people on the phone so I just kept listening to her, and when she was finished I apologized that there was nothing we could do for her and gave her my best, thinking this would end the conversation. I was wrong.

But what she said next changed my perspective on the whole situation. She began to explain to me that she had called many places that day that hadn't been so nice to her and she thanked me for listening to her and for being polite and genuinely concerned for her and her situation and then we said goodbye and hung up the phone.

Now I'm sure you are wondering why on earth I have decided to share this story. It's because of a big "Ah-ha!" moment I had right after this phone call occurred. I've been asked before, and have wondered myself, "How do I share the gospel?" When I meet someone new, or even when talking to someone I already know I find it difficult to bring that topic up sometimes. I just never know when the right time is or how exactly to bring it up in a way that is inviting to them. Then, I think if I ever do bring it up in a conversation what all should I say?

How do I effectively tell them who Jesus is? I've managed to have a few successful chats that were really great, but it was because that person asked me about Jesus. So, how do I share the gospel with someone who didn't ask for it? When I just don't know how to bring it up or if they even want to hear it? This phone call, as small and insignificant as it may seem, made me realize that you don't have to speak to share the gospel. Live the gospel, and let your life speak it for you.

This woman who called was probably expecting another person to turn her down, continually interrupt her and tell her to get a move on. But instead, she spoke with someone who was patient and kind with her and she recognized that difference and it resonated with her. I may not have told her who Jesus was, but the way I interacted with her shared the gospel for me.

Jesus really uses even the smallest of tasks for His glory and it really can be that simple and I know that I'm so guilty of over-complicating it and maybe you are too. So when words fall short or the right moment just never feels like it's coming, let your life be the proof of Him and His love. Intentionally live a life that preaches the gospel.