Sexuality and Agency in "Westworld"

Sexuality and Agency in "Westworld"

An exploration of the portrayal of sex in HBO's new hit show

206
Sexuality and Agency in "Westworld"
SlashFilm

HBO's new hit show Westworld is a story with which I have become greatly intrigued as of late. There is so much dimension to this show, creating a seemingly infinite feedback of curiosity and mystery. A particular dimension worth examining is the portrayal of sexuality, exhibited by both hosts and persons.

Inside Westworld is an open-world role-playing game that recreates a "Wild West" environment. Those rich enough can purchase access to Westworld and choose their own adventure, making whatever decisions they so choose without fear of consequence or repercussion. There to serve as a vehicle for any individual's journey are the hosts, complex androids coded to think according to a specific sphere of thought and respond to stimuli within the parameters of that code. Any human player character can interact with hosts- even in ways that deviate from the perceived microcosm in which they inhabit- and they will respond in a "realistic" way. Put simply, a player can choose to flirt and engage in sexual activity with a host and they will reciprocate.

Westworld is a perfect a facsimile of the real world in which anything is permissible. Popular among the human participants is the fantasy of sex. The hosts are designed to be almost perfect replicas of human beings; as such, they are perfectly capable of engaging in sexual activity with human characters. In fact, several hosts are designed with the express purpose of seducing and having sex with players. Sexuality is a deliberate conceit of this world and players enter it knowing that inhabitants are both "non-living" and capable of sex.

A common dialogue, then, surrounds the fact that hosts are human-like, but not human enough to the point where sex with them could be considered extramarital or immoral. To some, hosts are essentially the realist form of a sex doll. The agency truly lies within the hands of the player, meaning rape, too, is possible. With that scenario, the justification is, again, the fact that hosts are nonhuman. The fact remains, however, that, even though hosts are not created biologically, what truly separates them from humans? They think, perceive, react and desire all in the same way that humans do, so are hosts truly nonliving? The show delves in to such questions and portrays hosts in a deliberately deceptive way in which, occasionally, it is impossible to tell what character is human and what character is a host.

Another interesting facet of Westworld is the casual nature with which lesbian, gay and bisexual characters are depicted. There is never any reference made to the fact that characters of the same sex are engaging with one another sexually- they just do. A primary character in the story makes a comment about a player's ability to do whatever they choose with a host, implying sex, and walks off with both a male and female host. Later, he is shown having a polyamorous session with male and female hosts. In a scene within a brothel, characters engage in both heterosexual and homosexual actions. The lack of any recognition of these characters' sexuality normalizes homosexuality. Within Westworld, there is no distinction or prejudice towards people with a non-heteronormative sexuality. This is a world in which pride is no longer necessary because gay, lesbian and bisexual people exist without marginalization.

Westworld creates a conundrum within its world. Sexuality of all sorts can be explored without fear of marginalization. However, this includes acts of rape and violence. Players are free to explore their vices because, as it is thought by players, hosts are robots; they are nonhuman and therefore not worthy of basic human rights. Though sex is normalized within this world, it is achieved through the violation of these near-human androids, whose agency is completely surrendered to their creators. Hosts are completely naked when they are going through maintenance. It is stated by the creator of the robots that, logically, they should have no shame in their nakedness because the concept of shame is completely divorced from their manner of thought. At the end of the day, however, these beings are capable of the complex emotions that humans feel, so what facet of their being should deprive them of respect and agency?

The exploration of the humanity and, therefore, respect of hosts is a complex question, but at the same time, it is a simple one. The imagery of human characters abusing hosts is never pleasant to see. They are violating bodies that are imperceptibly human for personal satisfaction. Perhaps this show stimulates the thought that humans should start to reconsider or expand their notion of what is living and what is not.