Secrets of Virginia Tech Dining Halls

Secrets of Virginia Tech Dining Halls

The self-proclaimed perfect guide on where to go and what to get when it comes to #1 Ranked Virginia Tech Dining.

633
Secrets of Virginia Tech Dining Halls

If you're already a student at Virginia Tech, there's a good chance you had a little trouble figuring out the secrets that really make Virginia Tech's food rise above the rest. 

Personally, my first week at Virginia Tech included a lot of people saying, "West End is so good! Go there! Turner is so good! Go there! Owen's is so good! Go there!"...followed by me going there, and then wandering aimlessly trying to decided what they were talking about that was "so good." All I could see was long lines and candy kiosks. But now, after a year of exploration, I'd like to think I've figured out what all the hype is about.

7. DXPress: The grab n' go, late-night lifesaver. Surprisingly, this place has better wraps than Wrap World, and they're totally customizable. If you're sober, that's definitely the best option. If you're not, just stay away from the sushi and everything will most likely taste great. 

6. D2: This one just isn't included in the list. It's gross. Go there at the beginning of the year when your whole hall wants to sit together and not get judged, but don't expect to feel satisfied after eating half a plate of average Chinese and half a plate of average burger joint. 

5. Hokie Grill: Hokie Grill is perfect for when you're homesick and just want to get anything you're familiar with. Chick-fil-A, Pizza Hut, Dunkin' Donuts, and their own barbecue and turkey dinners are solid options after gamedays, on the way to class, or when you just want something quick and don't want to feel weird eating alone (Hokie Grill is never too crowded). Nothing cures homesickness like Chick-fil-A sauce. 

4. Squire's Student Center: This is the place. You look at it, and it looks so measly with only two options: Burger 37 and Au Bon Pain. But THIS is the place. Especially if it's Sunday morning and you're a sorority girl. I don't even need to talk about the food, because really everything at these two places is great. I tried all first semester to recreate my Panera order at ABP, and I wish I would have just accepted ABP as it was right off the bat. My favorite thing about Squires is going there on Sunday morning and finding all the friends you forgot you made last night. 

3. Owen's: Owen's is confusing. It's horribly ugly inside and appears super average and D2-like upon first glance. But you will be in love in about 3 weeks, don't worry. Freshen's is actually just all around yummy. Definitely better than the smoothie place in West End, and has a ton of mix-ins that let you feel like you're being kinda healthy. At Frank's Deli, The Fantastic Frank is the only way to go. I order it with the bread flipped over, because for some reason they make it with the bread upside-down and the sandwich falls apart. Farms and Fields is super expensive, but when you're feeling like a health nut, this organic and non-GMO locally grown food is the way to go. The paninis are actually pretty good. Carvery is the reason I love Brussel Sprouts, so go there for over-salted veggies. That's actually all I've ever tried at Owen's, and I think I'd die without it. Someone tweet me with how the other half of the place tastes?

2. West End: Very confusing, very hectic, very long lines. Very worth it if you go at 3pm, because it's absolutely empty. Try it for your first time during an off-hour so you can really look around. Pasta is always a safe choice, and getting half-alfredo, half-marinara has become my to die for go-to when I'm craving carbs. "Wired" is avoidable, there are better smoothies at Owen's and ice-cream at Deet's for less of a wait. JP's Chophouse is going to take forever, no matter what time of day it is, but you HAVE to try to London Broil. Just order it just like that. The menu looks weird, but I promise, they have it. My personal favorite here is Leaf & Ladle, and the hot chicken tender salad is in my bloodstream by now, probably. But that's just the sorority girl in me. 

1. Turner: If you're still reading, I'm leaving you hanging here. Turner is an adventure. You deserve to explore it and grow to love it all on your own.