I Saw This Breakup Coming | The Odyssey Online

I Saw This Breakup Coming

Why this could be you, too.

59
I Saw This Breakup Coming
US Weekly

When I found out that Bachelor star Ben Higgins and fiancé Lauren Bushnell had split, I was not surprised. Not one bit. This is not because I am cynical or wanted their relationship to fail. Actually, just the opposite. I faithfully watched Ben's season, and I wanted Lauren to win more than anything. I was ecstatic when Ben got down on one knee and asked Lauren to marry him. However, my joy was short lived. Shortly after the season ended, Freeform picked up a new show called "Ben and Lauren: Happily Ever After?" I didn't watch this show like I had watched them previously, but I did catch the season finale. The couple nearly broke up, then decided to stay together, but to call off their wedding for the time being.

Once I heard that, I knew they were done. If they had truly had the love they claimed to have, they would never have put it off. Now, I don't profess to be some kind of love expert. However, I do know some basics. There is no perfect time to get married. There will always be something going on. Maybe you are still in school. Maybe you are swamped at work right now. But when you love someone enough to marry them, than marrying that person as soon as you can should be your main goal. You would never want to put it off or make it so far away that the wedding day seems as though it will never come. I don't write this to make anyone feel bad, or to shame this couple specifically. I write this to remind others who may also be considering marriage that if it is right, you will want that marriage more than anything. You won't want to wait any longer than necessary.

My husband and I were engaged for a grand total of 5 months. In the world’s eyes, that is shockingly short. To us, it was the longest 5 months of our lives. And that is how it should feel. Being engaged shouldn’t be a long relationship status that spans years and that you are content being in. It’s something you should want to change immediately. When love is real, you will want that happily ever after, without the question mark.