Rupi Kaur's Guide To Just Making It Through

"I care for myself the way I used to care about you."

97

It has taken me a long time to figure out exactly how I wanted to get these words and this message across. The words just wouldn't flow when I tried to say what I wanted to say, so I decided I would let the expert do the talking for me. If you haven't read Rupi Kaur's poetry, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Get your hands on a copy of "Milk and Honey" and shortly "The Sun and Her Flowers." These books have helped me through just about anything you can imagine, and given me advice I never knew I needed.

We all struggle with the idea of loving ourselves first and truly knowing our self-worth. We cling to boyfriends, girlfriends, friends, family, etc. as if they determine our self-worth or purpose in life. This is where we've got it all wrong — we create our own self-worth, it is not determined by anyone but ourselves.

These 10 quotes have helped me the most when I needed reassurance of myself and my independence, I hope they do the same for you.

1.

If someone wants to leave, no matter how much it hurts, let them. The universe works in weird ways, but it knows what is best for you. All you can do is focus on yourself and allow them to do the same

2.

We tend to ignore our strength in situations where someone has left us. We dwell on the fact that someone has left, rather than focusing on the fact that we are still alive and can make it through. We don't realize how strong we really are until we step back and look at the the bigger picture.

3.

When you go through this type of situation, the most common advice you get is "move on" or something of that nature. Those who are not experiencing the same emotions as you can never understand how difficult it is to follow that advice. While you may seem alone during this time and feel stuck, just know this feeling will eventually pass. One day you will be able to move on.

4.

We've all done this; Waited around for the person who left us, thinking that they will eventually come to their senses and want us back. The harsh truth is, if someone leaves then they do not want you. Do not waste your precious time or energy waiting for someone who doesn't deserve it.

5.

We've all also been here - Allowing someone to come and go as they please. Like I said before, if they leave they do not want you. Odds are they realized no one else will deal with their bullshit and came back because you made it easy. Do not be this person no matter how much you love or care for them.

6.

Simply put, you cannot make someone stay if they don't want to. If they leave, let them. I promise you'll make it through and even come out stronger and wiser. The biggest mistake we can make in these situations is holding on to someone who so obviously does not want us.

7.

This is as much life advice as it is relationship advice. While it is good to give more than you receive in most situations, you cannot give someone everything you have to offer if they are giving nothing in return. Not everyone has the same heart as you, and those with weaker hearts will take advantage of you and yours. Know when enough is enough, and when to stop giving so much so that you do not end up empty.

8.

Even when you think you've gone through your worst, remember that you're still here and you're still living. When you honestly think of how much shit you've gone through thus far, anything is possible to get through. Do not let a small-minded person, who doesn't see your value make you feel like you can't make it through. You can.

9.

When you finally learn to let go and move on from the person that has been holding you back, you are reborn. You can be yourself again without the weight of your past on your shoulders. You can be happy all on your own. You can finally realize your self-worth relies on you only and you have conquered what you once thought was impossible.

10.

When you stop clinging to the idea that someone else creates your self-worth, happiness, life meaning, etc., you will truly understand there is no love more intimate or powerful than self-love. Look for a home within yourself, not a home within another person.